CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dhope

20th January 2024, 21:19
Mixed feelings about this one , but as usual impressed with ingenuity/ brilliance of compiler. Found some of clues/ solutions excessively complex but this may have been due to my ignorance of the theme . Needed to come to forum for help so thanks for getting me to finish line.
FOI 1d
COD 15a
LOI 13a
Enjoy rest of weekend.
61 of 87  -   Report This Post

micky

20th January 2024, 22:48
Sorry to be geekish and pedantic, but as a mathematician I regard the definition of 21d as wrong. Certainly a function is involved, but only one, and the solution does not mean "functions", though it could mean numbers which appear as the outcome of that function. As I say, geekish and pedantic if you like, but little imperfections like that slightly reduce the feeling of satisfaction gained from the puzzle.
62 of 87  -   Report This Post

rocky7

21st January 2024, 09:31
I got an hour at this yesterday before I had to go out for the day. I got six clues. I've had another go this morning but I'm finding the obscure definitions and complex parsing quite an ordeal.

If I can get 6d I might get going again. Could someone if you're still out there give me a hint on the definition at least.
63 of 87  -   Report This Post

geting

21st January 2024, 09:34
the definition is the first two words
64 of 87  -   Report This Post

jono

21st January 2024, 09:43
…and 8 is not a cross reference.
65 of 87  -   Report This Post

rocky7

21st January 2024, 09:46
Thanks guys. I've got a three hour train journey coming up. If I'm still not done by the end of that I may call it a day.
66 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st January 2024, 09:53
rocky
I don't think you have any chance on 4 or 24 without online access!
67 of 87  -   Report This Post

rocky7

21st January 2024, 10:22
Well I've made good progress. You're right Chrise I would have had not a prayer on many of these. I just have 7d to get now. But I can't think of a word that I assume means rook that fits. Due to the theme I know where one letter has to go and it fits the last two words in the clue but I'm stumped.
68 of 87  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st January 2024, 10:29
hi rocky
7d is a bit odd. the loose definition is "a rook is not"
69 of 87  -   Report This Post

rocky7

21st January 2024, 10:37
Of course it is. Right well I'm all done. Struggled with this due mainly to poor GK and getting used to Kite's style but you have to say this was a clever puzzle and I will actually look forward to Kite's next offering.

COD probably 11a even though I didn't know the word. But I do now.
70 of 87  -   Report This Post