CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

eraserman

13th January 2024, 17:05
So I've got the theme and below-grid entry and filled the grid apart from 31ac. I'm guessing that 'cedar left' yields 6 letters framing something that resolves from 'deck in shed'. So I'm struggling for a deck without an 'in'! BTW I laboured long on cathedral until I realised it was a letter short!
Any help appreciated.
11 of 28  -   Report This Post

quisling

13th January 2024, 17:19
Eraser man, “deck” is part of the definition, and “in” is a linkword, so the wordplay begins with “shed”. You’re spot on about the remainder of it.
12 of 28  -   Report This Post

eraserman

13th January 2024, 17:29
💡 I was looking more at large scale constructions. Thank you quisling.
13 of 28  -   Report This Post

jogamel

13th January 2024, 17:30
You helped the penny drop, quisling and muraria. Soooo grateful I persevered
14 of 28  -   Report This Post

muraria

13th January 2024, 17:50
Glad you got there jogamel, a really good, ultimately satisfying challenge
15 of 28  -   Report This Post

h1982

13th January 2024, 21:37
I have the full grid and the two parts of the remark.

I’ve no idea how the four synonyms were supposed to assist with the theme.

I also do not know what I’m supposed to put as the remaining part. Perhaps a word beginning with M and ending in E?

I have entered all of my across answers similarly but cannot see how that links to the remark as per end of preamble.

Any help spotting the aha moment would be appreciated. TIA
16 of 28  -   Report This Post

quisling

13th January 2024, 21:44
The four synonyms should confirm your four unclued entries. When you put them in the correct order, they reveal the author of the thematic quote in ODQ, of which the entries spelt out by the extra letters are representatives of two of the three parts. The remaining part goes below the grid. If you have the right quote the thematic treatment makes perfect sense
17 of 28  -   Report This Post

h1982

13th January 2024, 21:54
Thanks - all done now. I had been trying to reorder the removed words as opposed to the unclued 3-letter entries. Seems obvious now! Thanks for the help and thanks Ifor for a wonderfully built puzzle :)
18 of 28  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

14th January 2024, 16:38
Would just like to add my congratulations to Ifor on concocting a most enjoyable puzzle. I don’t often post, just puzzle away, but as he seems to pop in I thought it a good idea. Everyone likes to be appreciated.
19 of 28  -   Report This Post

lumen

14th January 2024, 19:13
Help please with 12a!
Just can't see it.
No sure about 3d, otherwise grid full.
20 of 28  -   Report This Post