CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

30th December 2023, 18:39
This is tough but I'm enjoying what little I have accomplished. Been out in Exeter celebrating my birthday (even though it's not until next week) so the brain is a tad blurry. Does tours denote an anagram in 2d?

Roof I posted that recipe on a new thread on Boxing Day but Norah thought it was spam and took it down. Let me know if you still want it as I think we're OK now.
31 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th December 2023, 18:44
hi rocky
tours is an inclusion indicator rather than anagram this time
32 of 57  -   Report This Post

darla

30th December 2023, 18:58
You're welcome, pauly. Don't be so hard on yourself though. I thought it was a nice bit of misdirection, especially as there were so many references to clue numbers. Very sneaky.
33 of 57  -   Report This Post

docrum

30th December 2023, 19:32
Only stuck on two now. Not sure if I have made mistakes as I can't think what fits for 3d. I have _ I _ L _ / E _ E _ R
Any hints welcome
34 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th December 2023, 19:35
hi docrum
the R is wrong. the solution pushes the 25d definition even further!
35 of 57  -   Report This Post

roof

30th December 2023, 19:46
Hi Rocky

Well, I gave up on the crossword despite the helpful hints given above. I did cheat and look up the answers on Danword with Google. Something I normally wouldn't do, but I couldn't get my brain round the clues. In fact, I couldn't parse all the answers even when I saw them. I wouldn't dream of sending it in and anyway I don't fancy the prize. I know the serious forum members enjoy something this difficult, but I can't say that I do.

We could have met up somewhere in Exeter (I'm an old lady living in Pinhoe) and I could have got the recipe from you. I quite like the idea of meeting at a station or a car park with a copy of th Guardian tucked under our arms and puzzled expressions on our faces, but I expect Norah wouldn't approve.

Best of luck finishing the crossword. My best Christmas present was a subscription to Apple TV so I can watch Slow Horses. I've been a Mick Hammer fan for years. Nothing on TV tonight so I'm off to watch the second episode.
36 of 57  -   Report This Post

rocky7

30th December 2023, 20:01
No problem roof. I'm persevering though finding it tough. Norah assures me I can go ahead and post if you still want it but up to you.
37 of 57  -   Report This Post

philo

30th December 2023, 20:18
Hello all

8 to go and it's been a struggle, even with help from my wife.

And roof, I too am a Mick Herron fan and I loved the series.

HNY to all
38 of 57  -   Report This Post

rocky7

30th December 2023, 22:05
OK so it was a toughy but thoroughly enjoyable.

FOI 9a
LOI 1d

CoD 3d for me. Very smart.

If anyone picks this up Sunday, an explanation of 23d parsing would be handy.
39 of 57  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th December 2023, 22:08
23d is a homophone of a German word
40 of 57  -   Report This Post