CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

yevrah

5th November 2023, 07:44
Nice, very nice, had to work at this but got there in the end and of course now I see the theme with a few of the answers revealing a topical and current event to this guy.

That should have sparked with me sooner.

No rhyming pair or spoonerism, some long anagrams, a primarily and a hidden. CoD for me is 22d, made me smile.

Enjoy, you will.
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

jono

5th November 2023, 08:10
Morning Yevrah, I agree, good fun. Interesting to see Everyman use an extended theme like this. I did wonder if 11,24 was part of it! The concept of 9d seems inherently dangerous to me :-)

I’m sure we’ve discussed “nephew” before. It’s not in the dictionaries, but I see it is in Collins online (which includes extracts from Websters) as American usage.
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

justsolve

5th November 2023, 10:38
I too agree, one of the most satisfying Everymans I can remember. Looked rathe daunting and took a while for FOI 9d to reveal itself, then got going once I had a fe crossers. Some lovely redirection, COD 16d which I thought was clever clueing.

LOI 7d, tool me an age to catch on to the lazy types, rather unfair in a literal zoological sense but perfectly acceptable metaphorically speaking!

Thanks to Everyman
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

drjax

5th November 2023, 10:54
A nice level today I thought. Not super easy, not too hard - perfect for a lazy Sunday morning - with reference to this evening’s activities. My COD was 16 for the cheeky clueing. I had no problem with 4 but do wonder where the exercise comes in when I assume ‘questionable’ is the anagrind?
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

jono

5th November 2023, 11:05
DrJax, I believe it’s a form of somersault
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

druh6sm

5th November 2023, 11:11
I have managed half of this crossword but I am blank in NW corner.

How do you read 1a? What kind of clue is it?
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

jono

5th November 2023, 11:16
Hi Druh,
It’s a construction. ‘Includes’ is an indication one word needs to go inside another. ‘Brief’ suggests the word to be inserted is missing the final letter. So that leads to the conclusion that the definition must be the first word.
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

druh6sm

5th November 2023, 11:24
Ty
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

druh6sm

5th November 2023, 11:53
Well.

Disastrous day for me.

Entered the wrong word in 1a, despite the advice, and everything else went belly-up.

Googled everything I couldn’t get, and way above my abilities.
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

heleninglos

5th November 2023, 14:32
I can't understand 2d, and is 15d a meaning of 'impression'?
10 of 21  -   Report This Post