CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

5th November 2023, 14:58
Hi Helen, 2d is a single letter from nepotism (I’m never keen on these “a bit of” indicators), inside a 5 letter word for incentives, as in encouragements.
15d is ‘impression’ the sense of feeling/awareness.
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

darla

5th November 2023, 17:07
Yevrah @1: "revealing a topical and current event to this guy."

Nice one. And I'm not even British.
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

heleninglos

5th November 2023, 18:48
Thanks Jono. I was using the wrong letter from nepotism, but I see the error of my ways now. I wouldn't have thought of 15d as being a synonym of impression.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

rocky7

5th November 2023, 18:58
I liked 16d in this. And 22d. Everyman sort of level but more akin to a Saturday prize. Very good level today and enjoyed a theme on a Sunday.

Thanks Everyman.
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

fitzrover

5th November 2023, 19:09
I thought that was an excellent Everyman. It certainly stretched me to my limit, but was full of great clues that brought a smile to my face.

FOI 6d; LOI 1d; COD 1d and 20d for the way they both exploded in my face thematically.
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

rocky7

5th November 2023, 19:25
druh6sm

Pleased to see you are sticking at it. I can't tell you how many times when I first got into cryptics how frustrated I got. Especially when i asked others for help and they would rattle it off in a matter of minutes after I'd spent all day at it. Slowly but surely it all starts to fit into place.

The great thing is I still learn something from this forum virtually every week.
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

julesvern

5th November 2023, 20:12
I'll second that Rocky. Initially, there was a lot of biffing, followed by working out the parsing retrospectively, but the rewards when you can work out the answer from the clue first, outweigh the frustrations and head-scratch moments. I've been doing cryptics for about 10 years, and am still very much learning.

I did find this one harder than many of late, but it was very enjoyable nonetheless. Like others, my CODs were 22 followed closely by 16.
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

davel

5th November 2023, 21:00
And i agree with rocky and jules. It takes a while to get the hang of solving, but it’s worth it.
Druh, when you get stuck, it’s fine to just Google a couple of clues to get you going again. I used to do this a lot when I was learning. Also, it’s often helpful to put it down, go for a walk, and come back to it later - I still do this now.
Best wishes all.
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

brendan

6th November 2023, 07:05
Good fun as always but I'm a bit confused by the definition in 9d -

Surely if it's let off "6" it will hit the roof or ceiling?
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

quocunque

7th November 2023, 15:50
Isn't that a cartwheel?
20 of 21  -   Report This Post