CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

davel

16th September 2023, 18:59
Hi roof. The J parses as 5 (setter, nothing to do with Paul) + 4 (spin) + 1 (male) + 5 (playwright - from 60s I think). Definition is old player.
91 of 124  -   Report This Post

davel

16th September 2023, 19:02
N is a former (US) presidential candidate, neither Republican nor Democrat). He ran in 2000, I think, and may have done so in other years.
92 of 124  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th September 2023, 19:04
roof, for K: if you look on the Wikipedia "list of manifolds" it's near the top.
93 of 124  -   Report This Post

davel

16th September 2023, 19:13
R is an enzyme that curdles milk, it’s used in cheese making. Reverse it and you get a slang term for a banknote
94 of 124  -   Report This Post

davel

16th September 2023, 19:37
The A is an anagram of ‘first name one she’ - definition is ‘funny short’ (film)
95 of 124  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th September 2023, 19:45
....associated with Laurel and Hardy
96 of 124  -   Report This Post

micky

16th September 2023, 21:46
I see that a number of people found this difficult. I found it really frustrating at first, because without having any way of knowing where to put the ones I had solved,each clue had to be done individually, with no help from the letters in the previously solved ones. However, once I'd solved about 10 of them, I tried tentatively sketching in three that I could fit together in the grid, and suddenly the whole thing became, by Guardian prize standards, remarkably easy. That doesn't, of course, mean that all the clues were easy, but none of them were disastrously difficult. A few people seem to have made the mistake that I made the first time I did ine of these jigsaw crosswords, that you can't start putting words into the grid until you have solved almost all of them. In practice, after a while you can find three or four that you can fit together, and while it isn't certain that you've got them right, the amount of coincidence needed would be so high that you probably have, so you can tentatively sketch them in. It will then probably soon become obvious that more of them fit in, making it just too much of a coincidence not to be right. On the other hand, in the less likely scenario where your tentative start us wrong, that will soon become obvious too, as several other words just won't fit, so either way you soon know whether you're on the right track. At least, that's the way it goes for me.

My only lingering problem is that I can't parse the wordplay for C, so any gentle hints would be welcome. First to be solved was E, but there was no specific first one in, since, as I said, I put several in together. LOI 7, which I liked, but my COD is S.
97 of 124  -   Report This Post

micky

16th September 2023, 22:00
When I asked for help with C, I should probably have said that I get the sailor pushed back, but I don't understand the rest. And of course the definition is no problem.
98 of 124  -   Report This Post

jono

16th September 2023, 22:07
Hi Micky, the bit you are missing is a word for end, as in a point, with the last letter missing.
99 of 124  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th September 2023, 22:12
Hi jono
You and jazzgirl have given that explanation for the other letters in the C, but I must say that it doesn't work for me. "End blunted" is, at best very loose. Worst clue in the puzzle, for me.
100 of 124  -   Report This Post