CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

16th September 2023, 22:19
I’m with you Chris. Can’t think what else it could be though…
101 of 124  -   Report This Post

micky

16th September 2023, 22:59
If Chrise and Jono are talking about the word I think they are, then I had thought of it but rejected it because it seemed too weak. If there's no better explanation then I agree, it is by far the worst clue in the puzzle.
102 of 124  -   Report This Post

davel

16th September 2023, 22:59
Jono, Chris - I agree about C
103 of 124  -   Report This Post

davel

16th September 2023, 23:00
And I agree with you too Micky!
104 of 124  -   Report This Post

roof

16th September 2023, 23:50
I'm back after getting 9d and then powering ahead with filling in the grid. I agree with Mickey. You don't need to get a whole load before you can start and then it helps get others, but I did find it hard despite all the help I got. I had my dinner and then watched the Norwegian film on BBC 4 and finished off the last couple, though I haven't been able to parse C and V fully.

There are some answers I didn't like, eg F and some words I didn't know like K, S and X. And I learned the Italian for Cheers. Filling in the grid was a doddle, I started with the Q and the U.

My FOI was Z (a write in) closely followed by Q. My LOI P, which I only got after getting J. The penny finally dropped, after I realised as I was feeding my cat what the setter was. My COD amongst many I enjoyed when I finally got them was L.

I had some difficulty in finding time this afternoon to do the crossword as I had to plant my new Daphne into the pot my old Daphne was in (it had died). The BBC told me it was fairly unlikely to rain this pm, but that turned out not to be true. We got wet, as did my washing, I've some more plants to get in, but the forecast is dire for all of next week.
105 of 124  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th September 2023, 07:09
Congrats roof.
In V, "parliamenT" as a collective noun turns up quite often in puzzles.
106 of 124  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th September 2023, 07:24
Indeed Chris, and if you're ever at a loose end you could do a lot worse than spend 5 minutes reading some collective nouns for other birds.

There's the parliament of owls you've just mentioned, a murder of crows, a confusion of warblers and a flamboyance of flamingos to name but a few:-)
107 of 124  -   Report This Post

rocky7

17th September 2023, 07:48
I was out all day yesterday (Portstewart - beautiful if you're ever in NI) so I finished late last night. Firstly a big thank you to Paul for something a bit different for a Saturday. What I liked about this alphabet jigsaw was once you solved some clues you could work out with a bit of effort how to get started on the grid relatively easily. Thanks again to Jono without whom none of this would have been possible. Guardian take note.

My only issue with this puzzle was how many answers I didn't know. Including both J and K which were fairly key. And the parsing was not suitably obvious to work out the answer and Google from there. But that's my lack of GK not really Paul's fault.

I think B would be my COD purely because it's a part of the world I love and am flying there Wednesday.
108 of 124  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th September 2023, 07:58
Hi Rocky, you really do get about don't you? 😂

Well done on completing it and yes, Jono played a blinder yesterday (unlike my Happy Ha..... - don't you dare start football talk Bren!)
109 of 124  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th September 2023, 08:01
Brendan @107
My favourite is charm of goldfinches.
110 of 124  -   Report This Post