CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

16th September 2023, 03:46
Y is brilliant IMO, extremely witty.
11 of 124  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th September 2023, 04:01
Well, thanks to Paul for what was a thoroughly enjoyable Prize puzzle and a real tour de force to boot.

While it's probably fair to say that, in terms of difficulty, it sits at the harder end of the scale, Paul has done one thing that will make it much, much easier than it might first appear. After you've solved the first 2 or 3 clues you'll notice something and think to yourself "hmm, that's a coincidence" - it isn't!

If you do get stuck, there's a very long anagram (although it's not in all anagram solvers so look around - I found it in the "free online anagram solver" which I usually avoid like the plague but, in this instance, it came up trumps) and a much shorter final letters type clue.

If Geeker and other overseas solvers thought the "litter pickers" required specific UK knowledge - while I'd obviously heard of them, I had no idea recycling rubbish was one of their main activities! Although they sort of got their own back with "N" 😂

In the clue Geeker recommended for Darla, I was initially unsure about the definition, but then my mind drifted all the way back to one sunny day in my teens when I was changing part of the exhaust on my Daimler V8 250 and I thought "you know what, know I think of it, that particular section of the exhaust does look just like a ....."

Lovers of music will probably have an earworm all day once they've figured out the "mighty character from the sixties" but that might not be such a bad thing - for a while, at least:-)

The only clue I haven't fully parsed is the first part of "S" - I can see the second "sponge" but not how the first two letters come from "having removed stink" from the first one.

COD - I liked the "V" clue and the name of the "old player" is terrific but I think my fav is "Y" - and yes Paul, it does indeed 😂

How did you find it? Let us know in the comments and, as always, if you do run into problems, just post your query on here - I know I always say it, but we really are a friendly bunch and there will always be plenty of people willing to help.

Thanks again to Paul for a terrific Prize puzzle.

Stay safe:-)
12 of 124  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th September 2023, 04:06
Brendan, regarding

While it's probably fair to say that, in terms of difficulty, it sits at the harder end of the scale, Paul has done one thing that will make it much, much easier than it might first appear. After you've solved the first 2 or 3 clues you'll notice something and think to yourself "hmm, that's a coincidence" - it isn't!

I think most if not all jigsaws work that way. The late Araucaria's always did.
13 of 124  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th September 2023, 04:13
Thanks Geeker, that's interesting to note because, in alphabetical order barred puzzles, they never do - at least I've haven't come across one to-date.
14 of 124  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th September 2023, 04:17
To clarify, you might get something like ...

1 - Anthem
2 - Clam
3 - Euripides
4 - Evade

... and so on but nothing like Paul has done, at least not that I've encountered or can remember.
15 of 124  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th September 2023, 04:24
Wow, thanks Brendan! I don't do barred puzzles. I was quite fond of the lamented Araucaria's alpha jigsaws.

Re. Araucaria's tradition [SPOILER ALERT] see for instance:

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2015/mar/13/1

https://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1378548194573/Prize-crossword-26047.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/2013/sep/13/1
16 of 124  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th September 2023, 04:27
Also, the first link I just posted makes it clear that Paul has composed alpha jigsaws before. In hono(u)r of Araucaria!
17 of 124  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th September 2023, 05:39
"S" - Just figured out which "stink" you have to remove from the first bit:-)
18 of 124  -   Report This Post

jono

16th September 2023, 06:32
I recall Paul used the same “convention” in his last jigsaw which was not that long ago. It’s No. 28,362 if you want to look it up.
19 of 124  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th September 2023, 06:41
Hi Jono,

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that Paul or Aruacaria had not used this device before, just that, in alphabetical barred puzzles specifically, I have never come across it.
20 of 124  -   Report This Post