CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dove

8th June 2023, 22:33
Hi Prospero and All,

I had lots of fun with this puzzle--thanks Picaroon! I think I've solved it, and I've submitted it, but there are two things I don't understand--one of which I got from the crossers in order to make what I think is the correct answer, and the other of which I got from the requirements of the theme.

If these questions--or answering them--will reveal too much, moderate me out, or don't answer them!

At 12 across, the 6th and 7th letters seem to have to relate to the final two words of the clue. I don't understand the connection, or recall having seen these two letters used in this way before.

At 22 down, the first letter is required by the theme, and seems to have to relate to the first word of the clue.
Again, I don't understand the connection, or recall having seen this use before.
21 of 28  -   Report This Post

mattrom

8th June 2023, 22:44
Hi Dove,
12a, the letters come from French for 'are', second person singular.
22d. first letter is an abbreviation of Latin for 'see'
22 of 28  -   Report This Post

jono

8th June 2023, 22:45
Hi Dove,
12. ‘Art’ in an archaic sense as in art thou… then in French
22. Look up that letter in Chambers, it’s defn 7 (a Latin abbr.)

Hope that helps.
23 of 28  -   Report This Post

fcg

9th June 2023, 15:53
I finished this - boy was it hard! - then came on here to see how people were getting on... There's an entry method??? I should have read the instructions. I had to cold solve almost everything, and without enumerations it was worse than the old Araucaria jigsaws. If I win, I deserve triple the prize. At leasr now I know I've put everything in the right place. I enjoyed it immensely.
24 of 28  -   Report This Post

dove

9th June 2023, 18:52
Thank you very much Mattrom and Jono!

I didn't make the "art" and the tu "es" connection at all--even though I've seen French and archaic English words in clues before. What a clever use of both by Picaroon!

And the See/V convention I wasn't aware of at all.

You've both answered my questions and given me info for further use!

25 of 28  -   Report This Post

dobby

9th June 2023, 22:18
Thanks for the hints on how to enter in the grid . I looked for this and, having figured that out, it was fairly straightforward.
26 of 28  -   Report This Post

mrsh

11th June 2023, 11:16
Thanks to everyone who contribues here-your nudges have helped me finish! You do a great job in guiding slowbies like me without spoiling
27 of 28  -   Report This Post

lemming

11th June 2023, 17:48
I thought I remembered French art from some time in the last year. After some research i found it, Azed 2,658 way back
in May 2023, which I'd completed. The striking thing is, I didn't remember it here until reminded. Let's see if it sticks now. I've done more active processing this time, which I think helps: found several past instances, even an entry in an old crossword dictionary. I'd even call it a staple.

I've still half the Genius clues to solve, but with the key known am fairly optimistic. I'd had a good suspcion of it anyway. A bare count of clues and check of the number of numbered lights seemed more or less enough to confirm it, with a few solved clues enough to remove any residual doubt.
28 of 28  -   Report This Post