CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

5th June 2023, 14:18
I guess this marks twenty years of Genius - and this seems the toughest yet ... no clue numbering and no indication where they insert means no help from crossers and no knowing which clue goes with which space. Guess you have to have almost all the solutions - currently I have 15 out of 28 and they include 2 words I've never heard before. This is going to be a long solve ....
1 of 28  -   Report This Post

muraria

5th June 2023, 14:39
Yes, this has been a real slog. Lots of cold solving and even when down to the last 3 or 4 clues it was difficult to say which vacant entry spaces belonged to which clue.
I had a couple of inspired guesses in the end that saw me over the line. Phew! And thanks toPpicaroon (I think!).
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

5th June 2023, 14:42
Hi Prospero, It falls a lot quicker when you twig the entry system. The porcelain ingredient was my lightbulb moment...
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

muraria

5th June 2023, 14:45
Yes indeed, although it took me a long time to see the entry system!
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

5th June 2023, 15:41
Exactly Muraria, and thanks Pickers, that was a birthday treat for me: a long period of attrition; an apparent rout; then a couple at the end that dug in and took their time to surrender. Perfect and very clever.
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

prospero

5th June 2023, 19:46
well I think I'm finished - lots of words new to me - and, if I have 2 down right (another word for elder?), I can't for the life of me parse it ...
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

malone

5th June 2023, 20:09
Prospero, Extremely urbane = the usual crossword stuff, brother... dropping Henry, gives the rest of the letters. 'Off' - anagram.
7 of 28  -   Report This Post

prospero

5th June 2023, 20:36
thanks, malone - that makes 8 words I'd never heard of - and half a dozen others I'd never use ... more like a Mephisto than usual Genius fare. But a cracking solve nonetheless.
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

malone

5th June 2023, 20:45
Prospero, thanks.I haven't actually done the puzzle yet,just a few of the clues.
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

mattrom

6th June 2023, 01:44
I enjoyed the struggle. 3d/9a was my foot in the door for entries, though I had to solve most of the 8's and 10's to get there. I only noticed the entry method after Sircrispin mentioned it. "You must discover some other way ....." should have alerted me.
10 of 28  -   Report This Post