CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

3rd June 2023, 17:22
Hi roof

4d his less successful son is better known...
27 anagram of "dines" in a tradename sandwich shop
22 outside of RobertO, then endless Brockwell.

21, 19 is a boon to the setter - look up 21 and 19 separately with "horse".

The golf was 31a!
41 of 53  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd June 2023, 19:20
Many thanks Chris

It took a while but I got all those. 4d was difficult even though I suspected the anagram. I've never heard of 24d. I've finished apart from 1d, for which I have no idea. What is the definition? I have ?A?P, for which many words would fit. Any hints to help.

Clearly, this will be my LOI, though second to last was 8d. My FOI was 13ac closely followed by 6d and 21,19. (I've looked up the names separately now and see how they relate to the theme), but I can't find many other theme words. My CODS are 10ac and 21,19, though I couldn't parse the latter until I looked them up. I also thought 4d was good. I found a god for 5d, but can't parse it. I'm not sure of 3d or 9ac.

I managed to plant out two Salvia Amistads. Let's hope they survive the drought (no rain here for more than 3 weeks).
42 of 53  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd June 2023, 19:40
Yes, we are struggling for rain too - quite a lot of watering going on. We have planted a few new ones in the cottage border, including some salvias.

5d the assistant is electronic. 1d it's the place he comes from (supposedly). 9ac is a homophone. I had to ask about 3d - see earlier.

24d I had to Google to confirm, although the construction is all there.
43 of 53  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

4th June 2023, 10:31
Hello, I've romped through most of this for a change even though I totally missed the theme. I dredged up a distant memory of a David Niven film for 21/19! But I'm stuck on 23d/26a, just can't see it. A wee hint would be lovely for one or the other.

Thanks
44 of 53  -   Report This Post

dhope

4th June 2023, 10:39
I certainly didn’t romp through it so congratulations!! With help from forum have finished at last but it was a hard slog .
23d think of what Galileo studied plus abbreviation for institute.
26a teller of stories going back after abbreviation for German, famous holy vessel.
45 of 53  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

4th June 2023, 10:51
Thank you! And another face-palm, should have seen those.

It was a nice change, I've really struggled in recent weeks to get anywhere.
46 of 53  -   Report This Post

snowwhite

4th June 2023, 21:59
Can anyone help with 2 down. Got all the letters but not seeing the answer.

Thanks
47 of 53  -   Report This Post

snowwhite

4th June 2023, 22:03
Just realised 9 across was spelt wrongly so now see 2d.
48 of 53  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th June 2023, 22:06
I think it's a crap clue. As far as I can see it's supposed to be an abbreviation for Georgia (though incorrect), followed by "taxing" minus the first letter - also the "in" doesn't make sense.
49 of 53  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th June 2023, 22:44
It's indeed a correct abbreviation for Georgia the ex-SSR country*. I thought that was rather a clever touch!

*well-known to chess geeks; home of many women World Champions
50 of 53  -   Report This Post