CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

3rd June 2023, 02:10
... 9 themed clues!

I'm guessing I've still missed a few so I'll stop posting until I'm sure of my total:-)
11 of 53  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd June 2023, 02:53
I'm now at 11 themed clues and 12 themed answers but one is split over 2 solutions - there's also a couple of others that have connections to it.

The theme has also allowed me to figure out the parsing for 21,19

Kudos to Brockwell for the sheer amount of thought that must have gone into compiling this - bravo:-)
12 of 53  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd June 2023, 03:26
I'll bravely venture that I see the theme, and that (21,19) was the major tip-off. Subject to error, of course. 😉
13 of 53  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd June 2023, 03:42
I think You've got it Geeker:-)

The exact total confused me because one answer contains 2 of the theme whereas one of the theme is split over 2 answers ...

... and I've probably still got it wrong:-)

14 of 53  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd June 2023, 07:58
Good fun and straightforward for the most part I thought. Suspected the theme from 17, but didn’t realise the extent, many thanks Brendan! Had to read the list on Wikipedia.

I was about to say 24d is an odd choice given that the more usual word fits there, but I see the answer is one of the theme, so perfectly fair!

If I had a quiblin it’s that there are rather a lot of “take both first and last letter” indications, including 3 in a row in the downs.
15 of 53  -   Report This Post

rocky7

3rd June 2023, 08:00
Literally just picked this up and my 2nd one in was 6d. I immediately thought that must have been tough for you geeker.
16 of 53  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd June 2023, 08:12
Stuck on 3d. Presumably it's a homophone of "lost", but I'm not seeing it.
FOI 13d (I look at first letter clues first), then 12a, though I did try to justify a reversal indicator to make it CIGAR!
Some of the themesters are a bit obscure, and you have to be as old as I am to remember 6d.
Favourite 31 - I had that problem on the golf course.
17 of 53  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd June 2023, 08:16
Hi Chris,

3d - you're right that it's a homophone of "lost" - it's "adult" in the sense of 'adult bookshop' etc. 😉😉
18 of 53  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd June 2023, 08:19
Thanks brendan - I don't think I ever would have seen that. Loose definitions at each end! I suppose the second one is thematic, though.
19 of 53  -   Report This Post

ianwil

3rd June 2023, 09:08
I was about to moan about some of the obscure answers in this puzzle, but now you have alerted me to the theme (see 17a) I see how clever it is.
20 of 53  -   Report This Post