CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

22nd April 2023, 13:17
A slightly different way of incorporating a theme to the norm. I've got SE and SW complete but I can't see what I'm looking for in 27,13.
31 of 59  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd April 2023, 13:21
Hi Rocky, itโ€™s an old fashioned way of expressing 240, generally referring to yards according to Chambers
32 of 59  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd April 2023, 13:21
Hi Rocky,

27,13 - 6 letter "midnight" + 1 letter "ravers at last" + 4 letter "substance" - definition is "240"

Couldn't believe last week, West Ham so rarely manage to get any type of result once they go behind. Your match against City is now a must win.
33 of 59  -   Report This Post

rocky7

22nd April 2023, 13:25
Hi Brendan

Yes. You have to be philosophical and say whatever happens we've seen some great games and brilliant football this year. I was there last night and we somewhat gifted them a point. But it was a great experience. Perhaps the pressure will be off a bit now but a tall order to win it from here I think.
34 of 59  -   Report This Post

rocky7

22nd April 2023, 14:05
All done though had not heard of 11d and probably should have got 27, 13 because it is what it is if you see what I mean. Though hadn't heard it as a used expression before.

Quite a gentle debut from Brockwell with a lot of anagrams but enjoyable. I like crosswords you can work out the answers even if you don't know the word.

COD I think 12a with 1a a close second.
35 of 59  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd April 2023, 14:54
Congratulations to newcomer Brockwell for an enjoyable and fun crossword.
I don't always do the Guardian Prize, just those compiled by my favourite setters.
I have a feeling Brockwell will be one of them in future.
Thank you
36 of 59  -   Report This Post

anyotherbizniz

22nd April 2023, 14:55
Rocky/Brendan

Worried about taking this thread badly off topic but, while there has been some wonderful football this year, nothing tops the mighty Irons coming back from two down against Arsenal. COYI !!
37 of 59  -   Report This Post

rocky7

22nd April 2023, 15:31
We allow ourselves a little deviation off topic sometimes AOB. I wasn't quite so enthused about that result as you can imagine. ๐Ÿ˜„
38 of 59  -   Report This Post

enlumined

22nd April 2023, 16:05
Good to see new talent in the line-up. Very clever to include the complete track listing. IMO this was on the easier end of prize offerings but still enjoyable.

More please, Brockwell.
39 of 59  -   Report This Post

roof

22nd April 2023, 16:06
Oh not football again!!

Hi everyone

I really puzzled over what the theme is. Despite my love of this genre, I'm not up on album titles. I thought it might be the launch of Concorde or the fall of Allende, but no it is music.

My partner at the time used to record tracks from John Peel, so I'm familiar with many of the singers. I recall a memorable night in Sheffield at a gig (did we call them that in the 1970s?) with Gregory Isaacs in the 70s. My friend and I were in a very small minority of white people there. A great experience.

But back to the crossword, where I am just getting in to setter's way. Despite googling albums from 1973, I still haven't got 23d, though I think it may mean to catch a fire.

At least I know the word to for 11d. I think it is a ballet term or maybe skiing.

I'll be back for more hints after a bit more work
40 of 59  -   Report This Post