CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

luko

25th February 2023, 23:20
I thought this was lots of fun - despite being a 17d household, got the theme quickly and mostly sailed through. A few were easier than usual for a prize, but others, mostly in SE corner, were slow enough to make up for it.

I didn’t see a great problem with 24a, but struggling to parse 25a although I’ve had a tick so I know the answer is right. Like roof (I think it was roof) I had no idea 23 was a beagle: just a class of his own in my book.

It’s a little off-topic, but readers and contributors here might enjoy the hidden theme in Kite’s Guardian cryptic last Monday.

Thanks to Brendan for an enjoyable puzzle, and to all here for help and company
31 of 38  -   Report This Post

luko

25th February 2023, 23:51
I’ve worked out 25a now. See you in Everyman-land!
32 of 38  -   Report This Post

feebee

26th February 2023, 11:20
Hello all.

I got started quite well on this despite not being a lover of the theme. Just struggling in the corners now, particularly NW. Please can I have hints for the 5s which will hopefully then get me 9a and 2d.

Also can’t get 6a, 7d 17d or 25a. Any hints welcome. 🙏
33 of 38  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th February 2023, 11:23
Hi feebee
5a is an anagram. 5d the first definition is a cricket reference
34 of 38  -   Report This Post

feebee

26th February 2023, 12:03
Thanks Chrise. Husband got 5d for me but I can’t see the anagram for 5a. Is the definition ‘unusually steady’?
35 of 38  -   Report This Post

chrise

26th February 2023, 12:08
no feebee - that's the indicator and fodder!
36 of 38  -   Report This Post

feebee

26th February 2023, 12:42
Oh dear - looked and looked at that for a six letter word to anagramise and couldn’t see it! Doh!

Finished now but wow that was painful! Severely hampered by lack of dog knowledge. Very much in the cat camp here.

LOI 9a - so many ways that clue could have been dissected and actually so much simpler than I had been making it. Not helped by not actually knowing the word in the plural.

COD 24a (one of the ones I got early on - clearly I’m more bookish than dogish) followed closely by 18a for its sentiment.

Have a good week all. 😊
37 of 38  -   Report This Post

doglover

26th February 2023, 15:02
I only occasionally contribute to the forum but on this occasion it seemed compulsory. FOI and COD for me was 13a as I have one at my feet as I type. On this occasion I didn’t need to seek assistance but many thanks to all for the help and entertainment I normally find here each week.
38 of 38  -   Report This Post