CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cymro

25th February 2023, 09:48
I have a troublesome one left, 23A Animated beagle’s strength of character securing award (6). I have G?O?I? and can see only two words neither of which parse. Help please!
Also I’m not happy with 6A as a synonym for pug- third letter X. Is it right?
11 of 38  -   Report This Post

drjax

25th February 2023, 09:55
Finished this double quick. I think many clues would have been much more difficult if they weren’t in the themed puzzle - which meant your brain was already thinking in that direction!
12 of 38  -   Report This Post

drjax

25th February 2023, 09:56
Cymro - think stop-motion not cartoon.
13 of 38  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th February 2023, 09:59
cymro
Think of "pug" as a shortened fornm of a lpnger word.
23 4 letter word for "strength of character" around a 2 letter award. Difficult if you haven't seen the beagle!
14 of 38  -   Report This Post

cymro

25th February 2023, 10:10
Thanks Chrise/ drjax. I’’ll ponder, especially on the beagle!
15 of 38  -   Report This Post

davel

25th February 2023, 12:11
Sorry to disagree, but I found this pretty difficult! 😁 I wasn’t helped by totally falling for the misdirection in 23, which held me up for a while in the SE corner.
I enjoyed it though, and there are plenty of good clues. I’ll go with 8 for my COD, but also liked 1, 4, 5d, 16, 22, 25 among others. FOI 18, LOI 17.
Thanks to Brendan
16 of 38  -   Report This Post

abz

25th February 2023, 12:15
I think this was the fasted I've ever solved the Prize crossword. I did get stuck a little at the end NW corner but all done now.
17 of 38  -   Report This Post

micky

25th February 2023, 12:24
It's unusual, it seems to me, to have a theme which applies to every single clue, either in the clue or in the solution, or both.

I put two clues in right away, but then ground to a halt for a while, so I thought it looked like a difficult puzzle ... then suddenly I got going, and found it an easy one.

On the whole I liked it, but there were a few clues which I thought weren't very good. I agree with Chrise & Geeker about the "rather loose" definition of 24a. I thought the clue for 21a was insultingly easy: not at all the standard I expect in the Guardian. 1d was made too easy by having "lab" actually in the clue.

OK, having had my moan about what I thought were poor clues, at the other end of the spectrum, like several other people who have commentated, I liked 8d, and without a date that's my COD.

Jono suggests it might not be reasonable to expect us to know one aspect of 13a. Assuming Jono means the aspect that I'm thinking of, I didn't know it either, but I think the name is enough of a clue to suggest that it's likely, so I'm happy with that aspect of the clue.

Like others, I pursued a wrong answer to 23a for a while, but the correct answer is better than the wrong one, because the latter isn't primarily animated. The thing which did most to keep me off the right answer for longest was the fact that I didn't know it was a beagle.
18 of 38  -   Report This Post

micky

25th February 2023, 12:27
Forgot to mention, if it's of any interest to anyone, FOI 10a, followed by the absurdly easy 21a; LOI 23a.
19 of 38  -   Report This Post

minno

25th February 2023, 13:35
13a is a variation on the first clue I remember getting and it making me laugh, around 1996. "Me and my ilk are proper dogs" Brendan.

Is 22a as obvious as I think? 6th letter is an I? Because I can't get 14d.
20 of 38  -   Report This Post