CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

flame

8th February 2023, 14:28
Many thanks! All done now.
31 of 41  -   Report This Post

aspria

8th February 2023, 16:00
I've got all of this, including the thematic word, but two questions remain:
I'm stuck on 26ac which no one else has mentioned as tricky. ?Possibly I have the checking letter from 19 wrong? Nudge appreciated.
Also, when entering the form, I suppose we enter full length answers and prove we've understood the working via the thematic word.
32 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

8th February 2023, 16:06
aspria - 26: a usual crossword 2-letter abbreviation for "men" + what you give when you assist, both in a word for handouts. Def: things you twist.
I always with Geniuses assume you put into the boxes exactly what you put in the lights.
33 of 41  -   Report This Post

aspria

8th February 2023, 17:02
Many thanks prospero! Most helpful! Nailed 26 now (doh). i'm afraid I'm not as familiar with the word 'lights' in a crossword context as I should be, but i take it to mean that when we enter (for example) Iac we enter all 11 letters and the same for 5d?
34 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

8th February 2023, 17:16
no - I'm saying one puts in exactly what the finished grid says - eg 8 letters for 1ac. Probably doesn't matter because I gather any selected entry is checked individually by a person ... not that, after 236 entries, I've ever won!
35 of 41  -   Report This Post

jono

8th February 2023, 17:22
This is what the Guardian editor said a while back…

“The solution to be entered in the solution form is the word or sequence of letters that is required for entry in the grid. It matters not if hyphens and spaces are included or left out. Nor does upper or lower case lettering matter.
A small selection of potential winners is randomly selected from the file where they are all stored and then the solutions are manually checked until the first correct one emerges.”

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Prospero, can’t be long now, surely!
36 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

8th February 2023, 17:28
thanks, jono - maybe your thoughts will work telepathically ...
37 of 41  -   Report This Post

tegumen

9th February 2023, 09:21
Unaccountably I too am stuck on 26a. I'm convinced my crossers are correct (including the "choice" at 23d) but can't seem to fit the elements together into what I assume is a phrase. My problem is that I think I've polluted my brain with The Devil Rides Out and its ilk. Hints please!
38 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

9th February 2023, 09:41
don't think I can be more explicit than at 33 - in fact I inadvertently slipped in part of the solution ....
39 of 41  -   Report This Post

tegumen

9th February 2023, 09:46
Aargh! Yes! Got it now! I was thinking of different handouts. I'll now say farewell to those... Thanks
40 of 41  -   Report This Post