CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

7th February 2023, 18:23
enlumined - the board is for a game. If you double the solution (only half) you'll see the last four words of the clue.
21 of 41  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

7th February 2023, 18:28
Hi Elumined, That one got me too. Think board with numbers on and eye tests... I was done and dusted when it came to that clue last night
22 of 41  -   Report This Post

drxx

7th February 2023, 18:51
Your 8 letters combines the across and down clues.
23 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

7th February 2023, 19:27
yes, thanks drxx, I hadn't realised they all doubled up.
24 of 41  -   Report This Post

boson

7th February 2023, 22:37
Just finished!

I had the whole right side solved but only half the left side with letters entered in the grid apart from the clashes. For the life of me, I couldn't understand the theme as the four clashing letters of each word seemed to bear no relation to each other. I even wrote them out. Finally, the theme leapt out at me and with the theme in hand the thematic word was now obvious and it helped me solve some of the remaining clues on the left side as it narrowed the possibilities. Definitely one of those that makes you feel silly after you finally see it.

My last ones in were 23 and then 22. I'm assuming that for 22 it is due to some blue slang that is not used in my part of the English speaking world. I haven't really bothered to figure out why 23 works but the definition is obvious.
25 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

7th February 2023, 23:51
hi boson - I'd have thought the first and last 3 letters of 22 were pretty common usage for a scrubber. For 23, first word is definition, then a 3-letter word for smell (only really ever used in crosswords), followed by 7 letters meaning aromatic missing 2 that represent the same thing
26 of 41  -   Report This Post

jadzia49

8th February 2023, 05:01
Anyone give me a hint for the themed word. i have all the 4 letter clashes but have no idea how to get the single letters.
27 of 41  -   Report This Post

jadzia49

8th February 2023, 07:16
Disregard last post-I think I’ve got it!
28 of 41  -   Report This Post

flame

8th February 2023, 13:41
I see what is going on and I think I see the theme word but with two clues I seem to have gone wrong: 14 a and 15d. Hints would be appreciated.
29 of 41  -   Report This Post

prospero

8th February 2023, 13:48
hi, flame - those were 2 of my last in. 14 is a word that is usually judgmental but here used simply to mean lower in a physical sense.
you change one letter to another, as indicated, and get the bits of houses that get designed. 15 think of what sets - and where it does it ...
30 of 41  -   Report This Post