CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

20th December 2022, 13:33
Rad, I'm not the Listener, so it's not my job to justify it, but the final grid only contains single letters in each cell. You need to reduce the incidence of clashes wherever you can. So if two intersecting answers clash but share common letters, you must always consider how those clashes could be avoided, armed with the knowledge you have just gained
81 of 128  -   Report This Post

useby

20th December 2022, 14:32
If it’s any consolation, this is the first time that I’ve posted and then very quickly have the solution dawn on me. It took about 4 copies of the grid before I had consolidated the letters of various answers into tidy and compartmentalised clashes. I only did so completely when I a) saw what the clashes contained and b) began to tackle the next stage of the end game. It did seem extremely bewildering until I reached that stage. Good luck.
82 of 128  -   Report This Post

rad

20th December 2022, 15:20
Thanks, Quisling and Useby. It makes a bit more sense now, but I don’t think I’ll be trying such a complicated process!
83 of 128  -   Report This Post

granama1

20th December 2022, 18:43
I'm with you Rad. Solved and parsed all the clues, nudged and nurdled to get what looks like a reasonable grid but found myself thinking 'how did I parse that one?', eg 33s once too often. Finis. I'll wait for the solution and do some Magpie puzzles instead.

84 of 128  -   Report This Post

moffat

21st December 2022, 10:51
I have nine thematics. How am I doing? But I cannot parse 2S and would welcome a nudge as to the required zone.
85 of 128  -   Report This Post

useby

21st December 2022, 11:01
The infantryman is from the same place as some yoghurts.
86 of 128  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st December 2022, 11:16
You're doing very well.
87 of 128  -   Report This Post

foinaven

21st December 2022, 13:43
I know exactly what is going on and know how many clashes there ought to be, and what they will represent, but I am stuck since I cannot solve clues 14W, 18W and 22W. My suspicious is that there several clashes in this area.

Also the wordplay for the first three letters of 2S eludes me, although I am sure that the answer is correct.

Any small hints to the three missing solutions would be appreciated.
88 of 128  -   Report This Post

ionacarr

21st December 2022, 14:04
I have focused as advised on reducing clashes wherever possible. This wielding of Iona's Razor has led me to a revelation in that part of the puzzle but I am still stuck and I too still have unsolved answers.

In the spirit of relieving misery wherever we find it I am happy to bend the rules as follows:
14W - two-word def, then the answer is staring you in the face, as long as you know your nutritional science
22W - one-word def followed by 'put away' in an example of Nazi geography
25 - the key here is 'elected' + 'before'.

I have nothing for 18W either and would be glad of help with that and 21N.
89 of 128  -   Report This Post

foinaven

21st December 2022, 15:11
Thanks for these, Iona Carr, although I had solved the third.

21N First two letters immediate, then a curtailed abbreviation.

Despite having almost a complete grid, I am find it hard to enter some of the answers, this being a case in point
90 of 128  -   Report This Post