CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

murky

22nd December 2022, 15:48
I did wonder about 30N, but treating a noun (an enclosure for...) as adjectival by attaching it to an unrelated abbreviation is a step too far for me, and 'for the' to indicate an adjectival ending is liberal, as someone commented earlier.

Then there's the unindicated obsolete word in 44N. It's an absolute rule that obsolete, archaic and dialect words are so indicated. Why have the editors allowed the omission here?
111 of 128  -   Report This Post

0pt0

22nd December 2022, 17:31
I feel I am very close to completing this one. I have highlighted nine thematic items, I have 16 extra letters outside the grid, but not sure how to finish the puzzle off. Firstly, I cannot parse 11S: the clue gives me an 8 letter word from which I would need to remove 3 letters to leave what I think is the entry. However, the three letters I would need to remove do not (to me) seem to mean "common time". Secondly, I cannot parse 31S: the clue suggests the plural form of the word, but I cannot see how the last two letters can mean "short life". Lastly, I had expected the number of extra letters outside the grid to be a multiple of 3, but this does not appear to be the case. Would it break the rules of this thread for some kind soul to tell me how many "Others" I should be looking for?
112 of 128  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd December 2022, 17:39
0pt0, I've already had a thread redacted, so here goes. 11S requires a first letter to be removed from a six-letter word. Time is the start of the definition. For 31S, think a fastener. And the extra letters are as you have identified. But they are analogous to the nine in their initial form, not their final grid entry.
113 of 128  -   Report This Post

gem94

22nd December 2022, 17:45
What you have highlighted is not exactly the thematic items so looking for a multiple of three is wrong - I hope that is enough of a hint
114 of 128  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd December 2022, 17:47
And sorry I misled you on 11S. It does require a first letter to be removed from a six-letter word. That letter refers to "common time". The definition is the rest of the clue
115 of 128  -   Report This Post

0pt0

22nd December 2022, 17:57
Many thanks Quisling and Gem94. I will plod on.
116 of 128  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

23rd December 2022, 11:22
Understand some of the frustrations given how hard this was, but I thought it was excellent.

Although I do agree that it seems odd there's no indication of obsolete in 44N.
117 of 128  -   Report This Post

rad

23rd December 2022, 15:50
At last I can jump for joy! I have the final solution. Although I did not find it by my unaided efforts, I can admire the amazing grid. Stupendous!

If I could ever achieve a grid like this I would think how it might be possible to make it available to the highest number of solvers. Make the clues fairly easy and make the preamble intelligible and helpful! Instead the setter and editor have gone for clues and preamble fit to turn away potential Listener-lovers for life! Not, to my mind, the most suitable Christmas present!

Still, a happy Christmas to all and thanks to Norah and the regular posters who do so much to help us to enjoy the Listener.
118 of 128  -   Report This Post

longhare

24th December 2022, 07:55
Any nudges on 33s would be much appreciated.
119 of 128  -   Report This Post

murky

24th December 2022, 08:18
Rad, it's pretty clear to me that the editors have put out this puzzle in an effort to reduce the number of all-correct solvers. Years ago before the advent of crossword forums such as this the number of all-correct solvers was around 10. Now it's almost triple that.

This is one of the hardest Listeners I have ever tackled. I have solved some Magpie E puzzles with less effort. For me, the less-than-helpful preamble, and some obscurities in the clues (defintion in 20S is ridiculously obscure) took the edge off my enjoyment.
120 of 128  -   Report This Post