CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ohcelt

3rd September 2022, 01:59
Is there a Prize crossword this weekend? They have usually appeared by 7pm EST, and that is two hours ago. Still nothing.
1 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd September 2022, 02:02
Happens from time to time in Grauniad land.
There's generally a .pdf back door, which I just copped from another (AB) forum:

https://crosswords-static.guim.co.uk/gdn.cryptic.20220903.pdf
2 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd September 2022, 02:06
Well played Geeker ..

I shall return:-)
3 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd September 2022, 03:32
Brendan, this was a beast of a Prize, as difficult as any in recent memory. I just now managed to finish, after mind-twisting effort. There are some extremely difficult clues, and several requiring esoteric GK (particularly the theme or mini-theme).
Thanks to Paul for a challenging workout.
FOI 24d, LOI 5.
My brain hurts too much to say more right now...🤕
4 of 76  -   Report This Post

minty

3rd September 2022, 03:44
I'm of those who normally struggle with Paul, but managed to get a long way through this one before needing some help. Last one without help was 22A, but needed this site to get 18D which then made 24A easy.

Maybe I was lucky that my GK overlapped well with the answers today but I'm not an expert on the theme. Knowledge of the origin of the name of an English football club ground certainly helped with one answer.

minty
5 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd September 2022, 04:03
Correction: I got the .pdf link from the Guardian site (comments on yesterday's puzzle), not the AB forum.
6 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd September 2022, 04:08
Wow! What an absolute beast of a puzzle by Paul.

In addition to there being a theme, there is, as Geeker says, a large amount of of GK required or, in my case, several trips to Google!

If you have trouble honing in on the theme, I recommend 12a as a possible way in and that should also help you get 26a.

FOI was 8a but it was at least 15 mins before I got another one.

If you do get stuck, there is a long anagram in the downs but it's not in Chambers or Collins.

I still haven't parsed 1d and am not at all sure I have 5d correct but, like Geeker, my head hurts so I'll revisit them tomorrow with fresh eyes.

With the possible exception of 25a I didn't notice any Pauline clues but, in truth, I wasn't really looking.

COD - A possible side effect of themed puzzles is that answers sometimes have to be crowbarred in and that can adversely affect the wordplay which, I think, is the case here but, that said, I'll go with 23a.

Thanks to Paul for a very challenging puzzle.

Please feel free to leave a comment and, as always, if you get stuck - don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Stay safe:-)

7 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd September 2022, 04:11
Brendan, as difficult as I found the puzzle, I consider myself fortunate for having twigged (half of) the theme relatively early, in the first handful of answers I managed to fill in. 🤣 Otherwise I'd still be struggling and would likely have abandoned it until tomorrow.
8 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd September 2022, 04:16
I'll go with (17,19) as COD, with 22a (slightly Pauline) and 23 as runners-up.
9 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd September 2022, 04:17
Hi Geeker,

I should have got the theme a lot quicker than I did, especially having got 12a early on.

PS I've asked Norah to change the title of this thread to the usual GP & No.

PPS Still not convinced I understand 5d despite having all the crossers.
10 of 76  -   Report This Post