CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

3rd September 2022, 20:46
Many thanks dhope for your hint for 23ac. I think I have it, though I'm not familiar with the word used for hairpiece. I'm astounded I didn't get 13d sooner as I was staring at one out in my front garden.

I have now got 4d. 5d still eludes me. I'm assuming it is an anagram of Spain hit, but can't make any word - too many consonants.

I also have problems with 2d,3d. I think I know what the first word should be, but cannot find a word for 3d to fit my crossers, which I am sure about.

I'm struggling to find words that will fit 20ac and 11ac and 16d, so further hints for these would be very welcome.

I shall stop soon to watch the Scandi drama on BBC4, but I'll be back.

61 of 76  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd September 2022, 20:49
Just found the answer to 3d on Google
62 of 76  -   Report This Post

davel

3rd September 2022, 20:54
Hi Roof.
5d is the new name of a country. Google might help!
2d,3d Again, Google might help, esp since you have solved 26ac and 9 ac.
63 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd September 2022, 21:01
Hi Roof,

20a - A + 3 letter "criminal" reversed/'back' inside 4 letter "drugs" (slang for marijuana) - definition is "tried"

11a - 3 letter "kid" reversed + 3 letter "harry" both reversed/'returning' then 3 letter "barrel" around/'trapped' A - definition is "monster" as in 'massive,.

16d - 4 letter "bridge" (as a verb) + single letter "opening of gate" + 3 letter "shown" - definition is "shimmering".
64 of 76  -   Report This Post

rocky7

3rd September 2022, 23:00
I love the idea that we all couldn't give a very big hint to "roof" of all people with that handle about 23a. 🤣
65 of 76  -   Report This Post

roof

3rd September 2022, 23:59
A good idea Rocky. I got them all during the Norwegian oil drama apart from 5d.

I've tried googling but without success. I have ?S?A?I?I. It looks like an anagram of spainhit, but I can't invent a country with that name.

So, I'm giving up now and going to bed. It has been a real brain teaser. I hadn't heard of a number of answers and a fair amount of googling was required. There are several answers I can't fully parse. Apart from 5d, my LOI was 7d and my COD is 17,19, which came to me in a flash of inspiration. Who will ever forget that famous split infinitive.
66 of 76  -   Report This Post

rocky7

4th September 2022, 06:16
Hi Roof

5d is a new name for a country. I had to Google it but it is very gettable from the clue. See geeker at Post 12.

The Norwegian drama is all in the planner. We have some catching up to do.
67 of 76  -   Report This Post

dhope

4th September 2022, 07:59
After reading comments from Brendan and Geeker I was not looking forward to this one! However much to my amazement managed to finish but cannot parse 26a help needed .

68 of 76  -   Report This Post

feebee

4th September 2022, 08:14
I was quite amazed to get a very long way with this puzzle by myself, only 5 left before I had to resort to the forum. Helped by hubby who is very familiar with the theme getting me 17,19 early on. Lots of anagrams always helps me too.

Still can’t parse 26. Not sure which part is the country house and what retirement means.
69 of 76  -   Report This Post

ianwil

4th September 2022, 08:30
26a - it’s all reversed. Country house is a 5 letter NT property in Kent.
70 of 76  -   Report This Post