CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

norah (admin)

15th August 2022, 11:17
Jazz and Jono, thanks both of you. I have to admit I’d never noticed those links, certainly haven’t ever used them. I‘l make a note on my list for Ash.
11 of 47  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

15th August 2022, 11:19
Added to the list, Jon, thanks.
12 of 47  -   Report This Post

orson

15th August 2022, 11:57
Revert back? One for the Pedants United 2022 thread, I think.

Seriously, I'm not keen on @joebloggs type threads and I don't think they would add any spark, but if they're kept under control and if a majority want them then who am I to object?

I can remember when the first page used to be dominated by people messaging each other many times every day about the minor details of they were up to. Having said that I think It's a shame the Coffee and Cake thread never really caught on.

The Pedants United thread is slowly dying, it seems. Maybe a thread on words generally without any pedantry necessarily would be more popular: words we find interesting, puzzling, amusing or whatever.
13 of 47  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

15th August 2022, 12:42
Orson, thanks for your suggestions, I have emailed you.

As regards the Pedants Thread, there's nothing to stop you creating a new "Words which are Interesting" thread and see what reaction you get.

It's too hot and my brain is addled, what's wrong with "Revert Back"? I must be missing something obvious if it's a candidate for Pedants.
14 of 47  -   Report This Post

malone

15th August 2022, 12:51
Norah, can you 'revert' in any other direction than 'back'? Has anyone ever reverted forward?

Norah, thanks for this thread. I do like the idea of some chatty threads. I was very fond of the Pedants United thread and didn't mind - and actually enjoyed - when it wandered all over the place at times. It wasn't an ideal thread/title for newcomers - they might have been looking for some pedantry and got my random musings or other people's cricket chatter.

I do appreciate your sterling work on the housework, keeping the Forum as spick and span as possible. I have to be careful with the commas in numbers, I might even have had at least one removed. Still, to me this is very much house style - I think some of the posh paers still use the comma in four-digit numbers.
15 of 47  -   Report This Post

orson

15th August 2022, 12:55
You can't revert forward, Nora. Revert already means go back, so revert back means go back back. The word "back" here is a pleonasm; some people would call it a tautology.
16 of 47  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

15th August 2022, 13:33
Thank you for your explanation Orson, I’m glad my technically incorrect wording gave you something to mull over, I have to admit you are probably right😂

I wouldn’t usually bother, I’ve spent all my life with people misspelling my name, but as you threatened me with the Pedants thread, I’ll also refer you there for your error😰
17 of 47  -   Report This Post

orson

15th August 2022, 13:39
I do apologize, NoraH. And thank you for giving me a morning's entertainment. I'm in a particularly happy mood right now because it's raining where I am.
18 of 47  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

15th August 2022, 13:44
Orson
Can you please send some of your rain to Surrey ......it's stil blankety blank hot down here ;-(

(Is this thread turning into a chatty thread already ?)
19 of 47  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

15th August 2022, 13:44
Malone, I’ll revert in whatever direction I want other than standing on my head, but point taken.🤪

Yes, you have had the odd comma removed, as have many other members. All with the aim of achieving what you refer to as “a forum that is spick and span”.

What are “paers”?

Thanks for your kind words, I’m glad my efforts are appreciated.
20 of 47  -   Report This Post