CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

14th August 2022, 05:45
I remember writing a while back that I had a particular soft spot for the Everyman because it was this puzzle, more than any other, that I learnt my craft on, so to speak. and there were so many replies from people who's experience mirrored mine.

I only mention it because this week's puzzle demonstrates exactly why the Everyman remains so popular, both among seasoned solvers and those wanting to learn the dark arts of cryptic crosswords.

All the clue types are present: anagrams, initial letters, hiddens, charades, Spoonerism ....oh, and there's a rhyming pair 😃

The only query I have is what function the word "now" plays in 19a?

COD is the wonderful 5d.

Thanks to Everyman for great way to kick off Sunday.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 31  -   Report This Post

geeker

14th August 2022, 06:10
Hi Brendan,

Clues 5 and 8 were my favorites. Several good anagrams IMO. Also liked 14, 13 and 17 (numbers in the order I solved them).
FOI 1d, LOI 19a. Slow to get started, but took about average Everyman time to complete. Thanks to the setter.
I also don't see the "now" in 19a. Definition says "players who are batting", but I wouldn't have included "now".
2 of 31  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th August 2022, 06:16
Hi Geeker,

19a - If it said "group of cricketers in now" then that would be a correct definition, or just "in" would suffice, but "now"? - I just don't get it?
3 of 31  -   Report This Post

mattrom

14th August 2022, 06:29
Hi Brendan,
Re 19a, Perhaps the 'now' means that the previous term for 'cricketers' was not gender-neutral?
4 of 31  -   Report This Post

jono

14th August 2022, 06:35
That’s correct Mattrom, the MCC changed the wording of the Laws in 2021 (to much raising of eyebrows!).
So ’now’ is quite fun actually
5 of 31  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th August 2022, 06:38
Hi Mattrom,

Maybe, that honestly never occurred to me - hope I don't get cancelled 😉

6 of 31  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th August 2022, 06:40
Thanks Jono, I didn't know that.

You're right, it is quite good:-)
7 of 31  -   Report This Post

yevrah

14th August 2022, 07:41
Really enjoyed this week's. Slow to start. Blank on first run through until 20a. No quibbles. Have a good day. My COD 8d.
8 of 31  -   Report This Post

loubyloo10

14th August 2022, 09:52
Failed on 17a . With x?x?x?x, I ran through the alphabet and even though I encountered the solution , I didn't think it worked. I didn't know one meaning of the word and I don't get the "so to speak".
12d No idea why the runaway train ends up there . I thought it would be "crashed into the buffers" but that doesn't fit.
21d. I always struggle with "Everyman's" Sometimes it seems to mean "me", "my"or "I'm" and there are others. Got the answer but can't see how clue works.
9 of 31  -   Report This Post

stargull

14th August 2022, 10:10
17a : slightly obscure double definition. Think architect of a company, and then something run aground…

12d : it’s an old country song, which I hadn’t thought about in years.

21d : two letters for ‘everyman’s’, reversed, one letter for about and one for front of stage.
10 of 31  -   Report This Post