CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

13th August 2022, 18:57
I think Paul is one of the best setter's personally, I think I am on his wavelength more though.

He hasn't been on top form in the Prize recently though I think (although I did liked today, but the 7s were obscure). The NW corner was particularly hard.

2 of his crosswords from the last year or so have been excellent, the one themed around TOOL was a classic (if extremely difficult) and the THANKS one which contained a great deal of Tom Hanks movies.
61 of 84  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

13th August 2022, 18:59
Chris, I think you have captured my feelings about some of Paul's puzzles. Several of the thematic names in this one were unknown to me.
62 of 84  -   Report This Post

minno

13th August 2022, 19:04
Ok. Pauly's crossers for 24a were wrong. Brendan, you were confirming his 1a crossers were right. All done. Toodle-pip!
63 of 84  -   Report This Post

geeker

13th August 2022, 19:09
Paul is one of my favorite setters. I read his "Meet the Setter" Guardian blog entry just as I was discovering the Grauniad crosswords. For some reason I've always felt "on his wavelength" and generally do well solving his compositions. And I have a taste for the off-color clues.
Sometimes I feel put off by Paul's heavily linked/cross-referenced grids, but soldier on and wind up enjoying them. Today's was moderately cross-referenced IMO.
64 of 84  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th August 2022, 19:09
Oh dear, sorry Minno. You're right, I was only referring to 1a but I can see that I didn't specify that - glad you got it sorted regardless:-)
65 of 84  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

13th August 2022, 19:22
Someone else mentioned the "audiobook" 29 was not a favourite and I agree, I too had to study it for O level English and I thought it was terrible, the plot was WAY too telegraphed so I knew exactly what was going to happen after the first part. Not a classic IMHO!
66 of 84  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

13th August 2022, 19:27
Cor, oh my (both used rather a lot recently!), I finally 'twigged' the parsing of 29A and, thanks to posts here, got 27A to finish it off.

I think the 'hints' given here are pretty fair and not spoilers at all.
Sometimes you have the answer but parsing it is the problem; so I am going to say that 29A was my favourite.

11A I got from the crossers but still don't like it. Am I missing something? Don't recall that this stuff does that thing that might make it a bloomer.
67 of 84  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

13th August 2022, 19:29
A bloomer is a (probably British) name for a bun/roll/bap/loaf/etc.
68 of 84  -   Report This Post

geeker

13th August 2022, 19:47
Funny, I only now see the "audiobook" parsing of 29. It's worthy of COD consideration. I had parsed it indirectly via the anagram indicator in clue 8. 😳
69 of 84  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

13th August 2022, 19:52
That's quite a major parsing oversight there lol :D

Still a terrible book though. But a good clue.

I still preferred the pork pie misdirection of 22D (was thinking surely it can't be ?? ???? Sherlock, even for a Paul clue, and I was right about that, would never be allowed not even in the Graun).
70 of 84  -   Report This Post