CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

16th July 2022, 21:15
I didn't think 23A nor 19D were that oblique but they were terrible puns, luckily both in the same style. I thought it was quite refreshing to have clues like that really, shame the puns were so bad though ;)

They were one of my last ones in though (19D was my last one in). Was trying to fit a well known email app instead. And 23A I was trying to fit a 2 word phrase into a 1 word clue, which did not make sense anyway.

It was a proper "oh dear, that's a terrible pun" moment when I got it and 19D was "oh here's another one" lol.
61 of 78  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th July 2022, 22:36
Alluded to this on p. 1, but...

I didn't notice a single, not sure how to phrase it, let's say "plain vanilla" anagram, where the anagrist consists entirely of words in the clue. The anagrams were all like, for example, 14: anagrist of 2 words, one directly in the clue, the other a synonym of a word in the clue.

Strikes me as unusual, but maybe I'm imagining things.
62 of 78  -   Report This Post

ethereal

16th July 2022, 23:15
Like many of you, I found the top half quite easy and was helped by some of the Forum's hints, especially for 25. And I really liked the pun in 23, having grown up with those gals.
I'm missing 16d -- does it start with Sky or is Broadcaster's an indication for a Sounds like?
Thanks for help that will get this out of the way before Everyman arrives.
63 of 78  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th July 2022, 23:18
Your start for 16d is right. Next 4 letters are a backward word.
64 of 78  -   Report This Post

ethereal

16th July 2022, 23:26
Thanks Geeker. Tricky misdirection on the very short definition.
65 of 78  -   Report This Post

roof

16th July 2022, 23:53
Thanks PS for your hints

I stared at this throughout the scandinoir and failed to get a purchase. But came back to my computer to study your hint more closely. Suddenly light dawned and I got 21d, which then helped get me across the line with 25ac.
So they were my last ones in. 10,11 would have been my FOI if I hadn't got 10 wrong. It tokk ne ages to identify the corrwct word. My CODs were 14ac (one of those funny anagrinds) and 17 ac a nice simple one. I still haven't fully parsed 23ac, but I don't care now. It is time for bed.

Thanks for all the help. I hope to be with you next week.
66 of 78  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

17th July 2022, 00:36
23A was a much worse pun than 19D.

If you had sang about some girls, they would be... it's a terrible pun!
67 of 78  -   Report This Post

dhope

17th July 2022, 07:41
Started late yesterday, got stuck in SW corner but woke up in early hours and had another go—- pennies dropped so finished at 02.15! Enjoy rest of weekend and stay cool!
68 of 78  -   Report This Post

aicram

17th July 2022, 09:32
I am still stuck on 19d and 26 across.
Is 26A a river or an approach.?
For 19d I have -U-S---
I think I may have 23a wrong because I can't see a pun . Don't know who Caroline is and Peggy Sue for me is a Buddy Holly song - and she got married, so I was looking at Bridal accessories!
I've slept on this and got nowhere so would like some help please.
69 of 78  -   Report This Post

derbs52

17th July 2022, 09:44
For 26a the river is the last 3 letters and for 23a you are right that they are songs about girls and you'll see the pun when you get the answer.
for me I have to say thanks for all the help I have got from this forum but I cannot fathom 15a at all (my last one). like several others I started with the top banana but with the wrong choice for the first word.
70 of 78  -   Report This Post