CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

3rd July 2022, 12:02
The vowel sounds of the Spoonerism work for me, loubyloo
31 of 54  -   Report This Post

steviec2

3rd July 2022, 12:07
Hi Loubyloo. If you go to the shops and buy 12d they are capital investments.
32 of 54  -   Report This Post

loubyloo10

3rd July 2022, 12:24
Ah I see it -I was thinking that the peculiar was something fake and that does sound like eau .
33 of 54  -   Report This Post

phil10000

3rd July 2022, 13:00
Thanks Jazzgirl. I guess the moral is: Always go into the deepest depths of Chambers. I never would have dreamed that was a definition of investments!
34 of 54  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd July 2022, 13:03
I retract earlier criticism of the Spoonerism, same situation as with loobylou10.
Agreed on Ovett. Difficult to judge from overseas, but perhaps he got short shrift due to being less "mediagenic".
19a: defn. seems wrong to an American; I assumed it was some kind of UK usage, but more likely a Grauniad slip.
35 of 54  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

3rd July 2022, 13:27
Phil10000
I checked in my 12h edition and it was also in my grandmother's c1911 edition shown as "clothing (Shakespeare)"
36 of 54  -   Report This Post

minno

3rd July 2022, 13:32
Investiture?

Coe kept his training routine secret for years. Is that still the case? And yes, Ovett's public image was mildly abused by the ghastly UK press in order justify their presence on this earthly plane.
37 of 54  -   Report This Post

yevrah

3rd July 2022, 14:42
Coe was often asked about his final kick off the bend and he always replied that it was (he was) "just maintaining his form ". Afraid I always found that a bit arrogant. But who am I to judge.
38 of 54  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd July 2022, 16:52
Living in the US, I only saw Coe race, no significant interviews, so can't speak to any ego issues. I find his "maintaining form" statement completely reasonable for the 800m (a weird race in which everyone's slowing down), perhaps less so for the 1,500m.
39 of 54  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd July 2022, 18:24
Brendan, if you're still around I'll bore you with my one famous runner anecdote.

I was an adult recreational runner, no particular talent.
In either '86 or '87 I was running the 25km "New York City Marathon Tune-up" as a training race (did it every year in those days). Just after the halfway point, the guy next to me asked: "Do you know who we just passed?" "No." "Henry Rono." "OMG!"

Turns out that Rono, after his glorious multiple WRs of 1978, developed a drinking problem and gradually fell on hard times. Later I found out that he often entered NYRRC races, went out super fast and blew up. So no big achievement on my part.

Funny thing: in addition to being a bit overweight, Rono appeared to have a kind of "squat" body type; I wouldn't have suspected that he was an all-time running great. Must have trained insanely hard in his heyday (not surprisingly).
40 of 54  -   Report This Post