CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

smellyharry

1st July 2022, 13:34
Staggering on. I now have added the definite article to the destination, and have the other two characters wending their way to it, but I have the same issue as mooncow, which doesn't seem to have been answered. My middle length character doesn't start at the beginning of an answer, which seems to contradict the preamble. Is this right?
201 of 216  -   Report This Post

quisling

1st July 2022, 13:42
Every need, Kitsune! It was daft to mention highlighting. As far as I’m concerned your solution is exactly what I arrived at, and what I would have submitted
202 of 216  -   Report This Post

quisling

1st July 2022, 13:45
SH, what that part of the preamble means is slightly different. Each character starts as the last letter of a synonym for the second word of the message spelt by the escaped letters. I’m character length order, the words are 3, 5 and 5 letters long. It’s one of the neatest touches in the puzzle
203 of 216  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

1st July 2022, 14:00
Thanks q, that is a nice touch
204 of 216  -   Report This Post

mooncow

1st July 2022, 14:48
Oh, that is good quisling. I did spot one of the 5s and wondered about it, but not quite enough! I had to go back to my BRB to get the other 5 — some really obscure words popped up in this one. The work was unknown to me, but sounds like it might be worth a whirl too.
205 of 216  -   Report This Post

buster

1st July 2022, 17:26
Jiust checked in here. Wow, has there been a longer Listener thread since haregate?

My view is that the depiction has to do graphically what would otherwise have been done physically, leaving an ugly hole in my submission. So that demands erasure and depicting the four-letter word in the nine-cell space by drawing. Otherwise the 'characters' in the destination don't suffer their specified fate.
206 of 216  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

2nd July 2022, 12:23
Still can't see the last bit of this. I assume we are looking for the (6,7) character and I'm guessing both names judging by the number of extra words.

So I'm currently working on the assumption that I need to find a 13 letter trail starting at or in the destination by changing various letters to create words that mean the extra words from the clues.

Is this correct?

Thanks
207 of 216  -   Report This Post

quisling

2nd July 2022, 12:31
SH, you are correct up until what you have to do with the extra words. They are in the appropriate order, and “from start to finish” means something else. Look at posts 122 to 124 if you need more
208 of 216  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

2nd July 2022, 13:04
Got it now, thanks q.

Not my favourite puzzle by a long way.

209 of 216  -   Report This Post

quixote

3rd July 2022, 14:54
I really don't understand how the first letters of the thematic characters are the last letters of synonyms of the second word of the message, as stated by Quisling in his recent post #203:
"SH, what that part of the preamble means is slightly different. Each character starts as the last letter of a synonym for the second word of the message spelt by the escaped letters. I’m character length order, the words are 3, 5 and 5 letters long. It’s one of the neatest touches in the puzzle"

I can't see the synonyms, and it all sounds far too complex;
In contrast, I recognise the first two words of the message as referring to a prominent list, headed quite explicitly with the first two words of the message, on the first page of chapter 1 of 'the work' - which specifies the identity and order of the thematic characters - nothing to do with positions in grid entries - but does order their b][appearance in the grid as stated.

Sometimes you just have to have the source material to hand.
210 of 216  -   Report This Post