CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

16th June 2022, 19:29
Thanks jono - that's a relief! I think I can be excused for not having a clue what was going on....
The "easy way in" @9 is a word that I've never heard.
31 of 39  -   Report This Post

tyke51

16th June 2022, 19:44
Buddy - I get your reference now!
Fame at last Jono! ... I had a look but got nowhere in a hurry!
I think I`ll stick with Tyke rather than Dandiprat!
Thanks for the puzzle.
32 of 39  -   Report This Post

quisling

16th June 2022, 21:24
Many thanks again, Jono. Great fun, and certainly a head-scratcher. I’ve done many thousands of cryptics over the years years, themed and otherwise, and can count the letter bank clues I’ve seen on one mutilated hand. Are they imported from elsewhere?
33 of 39  -   Report This Post

jono

16th June 2022, 22:02
Thanks Quisling. I believe letter banks are an American import. We had a discussion about them on another thread a while back, but I can’t recall where that was exactly.

This article may be of interest…
https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/going-bank/
34 of 39  -   Report This Post

mattrom

16th June 2022, 22:36
Thanks again, Jono. When I eventually got there (293rd on the list) #11 was my favourite. Clever to combine two different definitions of 'tyke'. Looking forward to the next one.
35 of 39  -   Report This Post

ginge

17th June 2022, 08:37
Hi again jono, I didn't want to mention anything before you posted solutions but perhaps an "only" between "with & their" in 11. might have helped (retrospectively as confirmation) to identify the "letter bank" device - a very minor point and I can't even totally convince myself of the need for such an inclusion. Regardless, most enjoyable (your best to date?) and I say again; bravo sir.
36 of 39  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

17th June 2022, 09:25
hi Jono

When I finally figured out all the elements of your fine puzzle, I solved only 3 (including #9 which was a new word to me) so "chapeau" to those who finished

37 of 39  -   Report This Post

jono

18th June 2022, 12:11
I neglected to say thank you for the last comments and feedback yesterday, all very much appreciated. (I was on a hot train for four hours yesterday - it should have been an hour and a half! …so I wasn’t in the best frames of mind when I eventually got home). Cheers all
38 of 39  -   Report This Post

jono

18th June 2022, 12:20
…and I take you point Ginge, that device perhaps does need something more explicit as an indicator, I was asking a lot from the “!”. In an earlier version I put the second “their” in italics but decided against it, when it might actually have been a good idea.
We live and learn :-)
39 of 39  -   Report This Post