CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

14th June 2022, 07:49
Another quiet Tuesday, so here’s a short puzzle if you’d like to have a go.

Clues are wordplay only. In each clue wordplay ignores one letter of the solution however many times it may occur. Enumeration refers to the full solution. In clue order, the omitted letters spell out a definition which may be applied collectively to all solutions (two words).

1. Spirting all over the place (9)
2. Crux of quantum physics shared by Max Planck initially (3)
3. Cut back sides to conserve energy (7)
4. Dear me playing with a cat (14)
5. Swearin’ out loud (5)
6. Second exhilarating cold run (9)
7. Beg endlessly on the outskirts of Delhi (9)
8. Plunder bagging ring (9)
9. Ground cumin (6)
10. Beat two pair to secure card game (14)
11. Their house with their assorted characters! (9,7)

1 of 39  -   Report This Post

quisling

14th June 2022, 13:34
Thanks, Jono. Trickier than usual, and you’ve beaten me with the final clue, even though I know the omitted letter. The exclamation mark means you’re pleased with it, which troubles me more. Can I ask if it’s in Chambers?
2 of 39  -   Report This Post

jono

14th June 2022, 14:50
Hi Quisling, I’m glad you made to the end! Yes, all the answers are in Chambers, however for the last clue you will need to think about the definition in different way ;-)
3 of 39  -   Report This Post

quisling

14th June 2022, 15:23
Thanks, Jono. That rather confirms the answer I had pencilled in. The last part of the wordplay still stymies me, though, unless one letter is being used as an abbreviation for the second word. I’ll ponder on …
4 of 39  -   Report This Post

quisling

14th June 2022, 16:14
Ah, I understand the wordplay now. Quite an uncommon device, if I’m right. Many thanks!
5 of 39  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th June 2022, 16:22
I looked at this and had some difficulty understanding the instructions!

Too see if I have any sort of handle on it, is the missing letter in 9 H?
6 of 39  -   Report This Post

quisling

14th June 2022, 16:49
Fraid not, ChrisE. If the theme was Olympic cities, say, it would be. But it isn’t
7 of 39  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th June 2022, 16:55
thanks anyway, quisling - you guessed where i was heading!
8 of 39  -   Report This Post

quisling

14th June 2022, 23:17
The letter you’re looking for is three away in the alphabet, ChrisE. That, with clue 2 (probably the other most straightforward) might give you a way in. Hope Jono doesn’t mind a gentle hint, in view of the quietness on here. If so, please feel free to delete
9 of 39  -   Report This Post

mattrom

14th June 2022, 23:53
I initially thought I'd have to pass on this one, as I couldn't see a toehold. Then I got lucky with #4.
I thought #9 might be easy, but it didn't come up in wordfinders, and it's not a word I've heard previously.
Still 2 to go ...
10 of 39  -   Report This Post