CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

merenz

30th May 2022, 08:38
I’ve had a look for an existing thread but it’d appear there isn’t one…

I need a bit of help with the endgame. I’ve changed two words to reflect the rest of the verse and (I think!) I’ve identified the other two that need changing (both in the west of the grid). I have fewer letters left to put in the grid (6) than the total of these two words (12) suggesting that half of the letters remain as they are. But I still can’t get over this last hurdle.

I’ve enjoyed the challenge of this crossword… thanks eXtent. But feel I ought to have recognised the verse sooner, given it’s recent appearance in the Listener!
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

quisling

30th May 2022, 09:33
Merenz, the two clues on the left hand side of the grid that need changing add up to 11 letters, in my solution. There are 6 changes. The sum of the clue numbers is 41
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

merenz

30th May 2022, 10:06
Thank you very much quisling. All sorted now, including a rather unexpected word change! I have resolved, henceforth, to count more carefully.
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

quisling

30th May 2022, 10:11
Happy to help, merenz. I was fortunate to spot the verse early. An unusual synchronicity, unless it reflects an anniversary of which I was unaware.
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

merenz

30th May 2022, 10:19
I can’t deduce any important anniversary either… perhaps the setters were reminded of the theme when someone recently added their own work of art?
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

30th May 2022, 11:41
Deja vu indeed! Sadly eXtent has defeated me - getting nowhere with the end-game after half an hour or so staring. Now for EV.
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

merenz

30th May 2022, 12:10
Bobbycollins… better get the EV in while you still can! Re the IQ… look for synonyms of a key word
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

malone

30th May 2022, 12:13
Merenz, I think you might have missed the information that EV has been reprieved. It's mentioned on the 'EV To Be Discontinued' thread.
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

30th May 2022, 12:45
Thanks, merenz. That's helpful😊
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

merenz

30th May 2022, 13:15
Thanks for updating me with this excellent news Malone :)
10 of 22  -   Report This Post