CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

31st May 2022, 10:40
And now all done. Thank you, Ifor. Great construction.
21 of 34  -   Report This Post

lulu666

1st June 2022, 03:55
OK, I have a full grid and still mystified. Can someone please translate preamble, especially reference to 1st manipulation?
22 of 34  -   Report This Post

kirky

1st June 2022, 08:28
It's that old chestnut "elements" again
23 of 34  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

1st June 2022, 18:34
I came late to this and despite all the as usual very useful hints in this thread I am still none the wiser about the endgame. I think that the definition of the missing letter required refers to chemical elements and also that it is the word defined in the clue rather than the one given by the wordplay which is entered in the grid. After that I am totally confused by the reference to the first manipulation let alone any further manipulation which follows that. I am just about to go back through it to make sure I have the right letters in the bottom row. Currently I have 9 different ones.
24 of 34  -   Report This Post

krauton

1st June 2022, 23:53
In each square with 2 letters look up the letters in the periodic
table to get the atomic numbers of the elements concerned.
Subtract the smaller from the larger. Sometimes you might get a number higher than 26, if so reduce the number by 26 or a multiple of
26. Convert the number from 1 to 26 into the letter a to z.
Put it in the grid at the bottom. A suitable word will appear.
25 of 34  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

2nd June 2022, 06:15
Thank you for that Krauton. It will give me something t work on later. Fingers crossed I have the right clashing letters in each case.
26 of 34  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

2nd June 2022, 07:01
I have gone badly wrong with this. Following Krauton's excellent advice I have finished up with RNTITNUAUTMAO which is not remotely like a word. Also I am still far from clear if it is the defined word or the one produced by the wordplay which is entered in the grid.
27 of 34  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

2nd June 2022, 08:05
ap, if you read the preamble carefully you should see which of the clashing letters goes in the grid.
28 of 34  -   Report This Post

kirky

2nd June 2022, 08:07
some of the letters are correct but mostly not..
1st clash is in 11d Y and K .....Y..39 in the table ....K 19 in table ...difference 20 which gives T for the first letter in the bottom row
29 of 34  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

2nd June 2022, 08:41
Thank you Son1ofRover1 and Kirky. I really am losing the plot. I was looking at the letters on clue order rather than column order and a bad piece of mental arithmetic didn't help. I will get back to it later.
30 of 34  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1541