CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

lumen

22nd May 2022, 01:33
As I said on the 1751 thread earlier, I have all the thematic stuff, it's a nice puzzle. But I have several gaps still in the SE corner.
The one that would help me most is 31a, Heading west, return masculine headdress to American. (4 but has a letter removed).
Confused by heading west/return - which mean the same, don't they?
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd May 2022, 02:13
In this case you need the Chambers-approved abbreviation for "return"; west means what it usually does, cryptically,
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

lumen

22nd May 2022, 11:26
Thanks Buddy. When I first saw it I thought that's a bit of a mean clue, but you made me think, and I am now complete. So, perfectly judged!
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

dsc

22nd May 2022, 11:40
could someone nudge me on 27 please? otherwise all done :-)
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd May 2022, 12:01
This one was rather mean, I thought. The stone is "a grey-wether", minus the last letter, reversed. The books are apocryphal books of the Bible; D is missing from the wordplay.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

dsc

22nd May 2022, 12:21
thanks, buddy, that's all done
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

22nd May 2022, 13:01
Another entertaining puzzle from The Ace of Hearts. Now for the footy - one of my old teams has scraped premiership safety, good luck to the other but it's looking grim🤞
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

andyp

22nd May 2022, 16:37
Certainly found this one easier than the circular listeners ace of hearts often does - but good workout, and the title made me smile.

One query though - is American strictly needed in 21d, in chambers app simply listed the def as "slang".

8 of 18  -   Report This Post

notnil

22nd May 2022, 22:34
As someone who, these days, is happy beavering away at IQ until midweek (and hence often too late to bother the forum), I'm delighted with my progress today. Thematic material complete and title appreciated but unable to finish 21d or 35a. Nudges welcome.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd May 2022, 23:00
HI Notnil,

21d - 3 letter "you aim it in the end" inside 4 letter "bitter" (drink) - definition is a slang term for "American piece of misinformation" (Chambers just gives it as slang with no mention of America)

35a - 2 letter "South America" + 6 letter "protects" minus D(ead) - definition is "more than one cactus"
10 of 18  -   Report This Post