CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

anyotherbizniz

22nd May 2022, 12:01
Well, after putting it down in a fit of pique when I thought it was a Harry Potter themed crossword, I picked it up again this morning and really enjoyed it. I'm embarrassed it took me so long on my LOI (16d) to work out the parsing, but I thought for COD the clever 12a vied with 23d, which I believe is a reference to a marvellous episode of Inside Number Nine.
Only answer I still can't parse is 18d.
Thanks to those who encouraged me to take a second look.
71 of 77  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd May 2022, 12:09
18d parses 1,2, then 4 with N inserted
72 of 77  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd May 2022, 14:45
luko, I'm from N. America, have seen the term for "hospital" in 11, but always thought it was UK usage. Not used in USA AFAICT. :-)
73 of 77  -   Report This Post

anyotherbizniz

22nd May 2022, 15:24
Chrise - Thanks. As ever, it seemed obvious when someone points it out.

And on the three letter abbreviation for hospital I'd never seen that before either. I assume it relates to a Sanatorium in particular, but could well be wrong.
74 of 77  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd May 2022, 15:30
I thought the "hospital" 3-letter term was UK because I see it occasionally in cryptic crosswords but nowhere else.
The most common US usage is "Port-O-***", which is something completely different. :-)
75 of 77  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd May 2022, 15:44
I think the abbreviation is rather dated - Great War, perhaps? Is it also used at Hogwarts?
76 of 77  -   Report This Post

grum

22nd May 2022, 15:55
I think used particularly for TB hospitals? I also remember it fondly from the Anthony Buckeridge 'Jennings' books, set in a boarding prep. School, where it refers to the 'sick room'. E.g in 'Jennings Follows a Clue' - 'Gosh, Darbie, there's a light on in the ...!'
Didn't go to that kind of school myself.
77 of 77  -   Report This Post