CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

15th May 2022, 20:29
Thanks, CallMe...and no need to apologise! I Googled the name you gave earlier, but nothing came up- no doubt because of the spelling. I've since read the news stories, and agree that it's all very sad.
There's no problem at all with bits of news, chat, banter etc being posted. It's a friendly helpful site. I think we all try to steer of anything too political- that could lead to unfriendly arguments!
11 of 63  -   Report This Post

puzzledbadger

15th May 2022, 22:48
Hi callmeishmael,

In case you haven't discovered it yet,
http://fifteensquared.net is a great place to get analyses of The Inquisitor, published on the second Tuesday following publication.
12 of 63  -   Report This Post

callmeishmael

16th May 2022, 08:59
Thank you again for the advice and encouragement and I’ll definitely have a look at fifteen squared.
I might have to wait for the answers and then study how they should be solved. That’s how I did it with guardian cryptics (and I recognise your name from lots of posts on that one Brendan)
Think this is gonna be a long game for me, but will be worth it.

13 of 63  -   Report This Post

laertes

17th May 2022, 12:52
Always enjoy the challenge of these alphabetical ones. A fun puzzle and theme. I have not managed to solve 3 clues however:

Religious drama stressed lead in Oberammergau (4) I'm guessing it ends in O which is unchecked if I have it in the right spot in the grid

Peasants no longer sheltering base blackguards (6)

Stupidly starts to recommend alternative vitamin not in sauce (6)

Grateful for any help thanks. Given that I have several letters for each answer, it is making me worry that my grid fill has gone horribly wrong, despite working for all the other clues lol.
14 of 63  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

17th May 2022, 14:31
The 4 letter does end in o and begins with a. Second meaning in Chambers (If I remember right).

“Blackguards” is the definition and the answer is a slightly awkward plural. The “peasants” also sometimes occur as “lovers”.

“Stupidly” is an anagram indicator. Definition is “sauce”.

15 of 63  -   Report This Post

granama1

17th May 2022, 14:40
Hi Laertes,

The religious drama isn't a term I've seen in that context before unless ....da fé is related. Word for stressed - first letter+o.

Sauce one is an anagram of one word in the clue (- a letter) + 2 starting letters.

Peasants...the base is a single letter (common crossword one) in an old term for peasant (- a letter) giving 'blackguards' (porky ones).
16 of 63  -   Report This Post

laertes

17th May 2022, 15:41
Thank you both :)
17 of 63  -   Report This Post

callmeishmael

18th May 2022, 08:19
What excellent questions Laertes: and the answers have really helped me - YEY.
I think I have 6 answers now which feels like a real achievement, that is, the first one you mentioned . . . And I’m working on the other two but at least I now have the definitions.
What about Female dwarf senior to Lorraine?
I think I know what letter it begins with . .
Doctor advises having travel document?
I end up with a 4 letter answer and THREE spare letters but cannot fathom out what I’m doing wrong
18 of 63  -   Report This Post

callmeishmael

18th May 2022, 08:32
Just studying the Stupidly one (how apt;)
Thinking about anagramming a word and adding the start of two others must mean there is a five letter word to anagram
(5+2-1=6 i.e. it’s a six letter answer)
But there isn’t a five letter word in the clue.
What am I missing??
19 of 63  -   Report This Post

malone

18th May 2022, 08:33
CallMe..., hello again.

Doctor advises... make a rather ungainly looking verb, past tense.

Female... just a name, a shortened 'dwarf' and a French word for 'senior'

20 of 63  -   Report This Post