CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greengage

23rd April 2022, 10:37
candledave, I've not succeeded and will ask CAM on Monday.
21 of 30  -   Report This Post

greengage

26th April 2022, 10:57
The CAM reply was not helpful:

'There are colours you can use to highlight squares. Otherwise you can just take a photo and send it through to this address.

The address is cameditor@alumni.cam.ac.uk

Over and out!
22 of 30  -   Report This Post

candledave

26th April 2022, 13:05
Thanks greengage, I’ll just take a photo and send it by email then
23 of 30  -   Report This Post

cs75

29th April 2022, 16:13
There's a piece of Windows software called Presentation Assistant (30 days free trial) which enables the drawing of lines on top of items on the desktop. Not sure however if the CAM software will recognize and enable the lines to be transferred.

I'm puzzled by the answers to 17d, 18d and 38d as I can't see anything relating to the theme?
24 of 30  -   Report This Post

candledave

29th April 2022, 17:33
Don’t think 38d is but the other two are albeit to different thematic items. One of them works with another thematic entry.
25 of 30  -   Report This Post

pageboy

7th May 2022, 14:31
I find the spelling of 35D unusual at best. But it can be nothing else from the checked letters and the clue!
26 of 30  -   Report This Post

blakwhole

15th May 2022, 13:03
Could anyone help with sorting out some niggling loose ends?

16a I can only make the wordplay fit by assuming that the 2nd to 4th letters go together, with an apostrophe after the 2nd letter, and thinking French. Is that right?

24d I assume the definition is 'thrown out' but can't see how that fits the answer.

25d Don't understand the wordplay at all. I guess it's the name of a supermarket chain that you remove something from, and maybe reverse the result.

By a process of elimination I reckon 38d has to relate to the 10 letter theme word (often abbreviated to 5 letters), but I can't see how. I thought that the last 5 letters of the theme word might be the name of a 38d but couldn't find that anywhere.

By way of a rant, yet again I find compilers basing homephone clues on not pronouncing the letter R properly after E. I believe that in most parts of the UK words such as 'inner' and 'airer' are pronounced quite differently from 'in a' and 'Eire', yet some compilers continue to assume that the way they pronounce these words is somehow 'correct'.
27 of 30  -   Report This Post

buddy

15th May 2022, 13:15
16a, yes

24d, the rock is thrown out of a volcano

25, the answer is what's left after you remove "say" from the outer edges of a supermarket chain

38d is not thematic, it's &lit - low as in what a cow does, plus eNd exposed.

As to your rant, try figuring out the homophones as a foreigner! They are my least favorite clues,

28 of 30  -   Report This Post

buddy

15th May 2022, 13:18
I should also point out that 24d is doubly thematic - no definition AND a misprint
29 of 30  -   Report This Post

blakwhole

15th May 2022, 14:54
Many thanks Buddy, all clear now.
30 of 30  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » CAM 95