CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

22nd April 2022, 19:32
Greengage @5: "book" can mean "reserve" for which RES is a BRB-included abbreviation. I imagine this was overlooked by the editors - if there are any in the CAM series (which I doubt).
11 of 30  -   Report This Post

cockie

22nd April 2022, 19:38
And re-reading yours @5 I see there is another interpretation. The last 5 letters (no problem there) on = after Jer. A book in the OT. So that's 3 possible readings, all perfectly sound.
12 of 30  -   Report This Post

greengage

22nd April 2022, 21:41
cockie, don't you need the B for the phrase?
13 of 30  -   Report This Post

cockie

22nd April 2022, 21:55
Yes of course - but the answer to 1A should not depend on a bit of the end game. All clues should lead unambiguously to the answer. I don't think Nimrod noticed that the clue - to which he naturally knew the answer - could be interpreted in 2 distinct other ways. That's where test solvers and editors earn their crust. Ximenes once set a complete puzzle on 1 April where - apart from a single clue - every one produced two possible answers, and they all fitted. Getting the single clue with a unique answer determined which set of possibilities was correct. But that isn't what's happening here. Homer nodded, but is forgiven. (Hint: cockie has been known to set now and again ...)
14 of 30  -   Report This Post

bananabean

22nd April 2022, 23:15
Please help with the wordplay to 33a. I have the answer.
15 of 30  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd April 2022, 23:21
In a word meaning denouement, replace the usual abbreviation for dead with a word meaning cat.
16 of 30  -   Report This Post

bananabean

23rd April 2022, 04:56
Thanks, Buddy. I am now unsure of the second phrase. Do you simply change letters 1, 2 and 3. If not which ones?
17 of 30  -   Report This Post

greengage

23rd April 2022, 07:25
bananabean, I changed the first three letters of the second word to make a phrase that is also used to describe the thematic items and, taken literally, describes what is produced by drawing the lines.
18 of 30  -   Report This Post

bananabean

23rd April 2022, 09:36
Thanks, greengage, perfect
19 of 30  -   Report This Post

candledave

23rd April 2022, 10:15
Btw, has anyone worked out whether it is possible to use the normal online submission form for this crossword with the original line drawing element?
20 of 30  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » CAM 95