CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

26th March 2022, 00:52
Thanks to Vlad, one of the Guardian setters I find most challenging (after only Enigmatist and possibly Maskarade; too small a sample size to rank newcomer Mobo) for this week's Prize.

Lots of fun, on the gentle side for Vlad but still above median difficulty (YMMV). Somewhat UK-centric, which definitely slowed my progress; UK solvers may find it easier; Curious about how other solvers fare.

FOI 5. LOI 10, guessed fairly quickly but parsing a challenge. Next-to-LOI 14, which I had to look up in a dictionary.

COD 12 (learned something here) by a slight margin over 4. Also enjoyed 27, 3, 24, 25, 1a, 13, 21 and 23. 27 and 23 tie for "humorous clue of the day".
Not sure of the parsing of (22, 8), which is also a funny solution.
1 of 58  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

26th March 2022, 01:29
Hi geeker
I’ve finally tumbled to the parsing of 22, 8. It’s a cryptic indicator of an internal reversal, if that makes any sense at all (sorry, the technical terms are eluding me at this hour)!
2 of 58  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th March 2022, 01:35
Hi Geeker,

I had a very different experience - a lot of it went in fairly quickly, helped by some generous anagrams (see if you get stuck), but then I struggled massively with the last few, particularly in the bottom left - and you call it UK centric! - you know which one I mean 😉🤣

If you do get stuck there are at least 2 long anagrams in the downs and at least one in the acrosses.

FOI was 5a followed by an initially incorrect 9a which held me up for ages in the NW corner, although it was totally my fault as I hadn't properly parsed it - rookie error 😡

I do know what you mean about this being potentially difficult for non-UK residents, I'd even made a note to say exactly that.

COD - I had marked both 27a and 11d but then, when I finally twigged the wordplay in 1d, I thought 'that has to be it' - so it is:-)

Thanks to Vlad for a challenging and enjoyable crossword

Please feel free to leave a comment - did you find it on the easier side like Geeker, or did you pull your hair out trying to finish like me?

And remember, if you get stuck, help is only a click away - no matter how late you finish.

Stay safe-)
3 of 58  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th March 2022, 01:43
PS ...

22,8 is a part hidden, part indicator.
4 of 58  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th March 2022, 01:48
Apologies Rogissimo, I see you'd already answered it:-)
5 of 58  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th March 2022, 02:11
Thanks, rogissimo and Brendan, I get 22, 8 now.
Brendan, agreed on the ironic (in view of other comments) clue in the SW quadrant! That happens to be one I got quickly... 🤣 ...and also to be Pauline.
I found the puzzle above the norm in difficulty, but not consistently so. All but about a half dozen answers went in smoothly, but the remainder, mostly unfamiliar to this American, posed serious problems.
6 of 58  -   Report This Post

brendan

26th March 2022, 02:22
I think that will be a common experience among many solvers, much of it going in quickly and then struggling with the last few.

Two Paulinesque clues together and both excellent:-)

PS Congrats. on getting 10a - you'll be drinking tea next! 😂
7 of 58  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th March 2022, 03:37
Thanks, Brendan (re. 10). I regularly (every other Friday) solve the Private Eye cryptics, which has really helped with the relevant GK.
8 of 58  -   Report This Post

jono

26th March 2022, 08:20
Rather tricky in parts I thought but good fun and the number of 2 and 3 letter expressions helped (apart from 12a which I had to look up to confirm it is actually an expression). I liked 1d and 22/8, but 14d doesn’t seem particularly cryptic and 2d is a bit corny, unless I’m missing something.

It’s been a slightly odd week of Guardian cryptics for me… and I found myself siding with the “Mobo is a Monk/Tramp collaboration” camp for a time, but who knows ;-)
9 of 58  -   Report This Post

geeker

26th March 2022, 08:22
IIRC, Vlad's previous appearance in the Prize slot was a mind-twisting puzzle I termed an "impalement". He may have compensated by taking it easier on us with today's. :-)
10 of 58  -   Report This Post