CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cymro

5th March 2022, 19:21
Thanks Geeker. I’ll need to think about that. I’m usually the last to get any theme. I assumed that it was something to do with 16D.
61 of 98  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th March 2022, 19:27
cymro, 16 is also thematic but 10 holds the secrets, so to speak.
62 of 98  -   Report This Post

minno

5th March 2022, 19:42
Just for the record, I genuinely do have a friend who is afflicted thus. Hence the connection in my head. Anyone have fond memories of James Burke? Patron saint of alternative comedy.
63 of 98  -   Report This Post

roof

5th March 2022, 20:44
Well I got the theme at last, but I still have lots to get as I'm not that familiar with the theme. I'll just have to google it, though a summary wasn't much help.

I can't find the anagram answer for 7ac. I have ?E?/L?N???
64 of 98  -   Report This Post

chrise

5th March 2022, 20:48
those are right, roof. it's an airline.
65 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th March 2022, 20:49
Roof,

3d - definition is "Company for travellers" a specific company (not necessarily in English) - your letters are correct.
66 of 98  -   Report This Post

adnarim

5th March 2022, 21:58
Like others, I was really stuck on the top half of this, even though I could see the theme. It wasn’t until I followed the hints on here and read the letters around the edge of the grid that it all fell into place. Very well spotted geeker, presumably that’s how you managed such a quick solve on what was otherwise a tricky puzzle.
Until I found this forum, I never would have believed I could have completed a Prize crossword on a regular basis (albeit with lots of help), so thanks again all
67 of 98  -   Report This Post

roof

5th March 2022, 22:52
Many thanks Adnarim
Your hint gave me more letters and I have been able to do all apart from 1d, 8ac and 11d. Any hints for these would be welcome.

I'm also not sure of a number especially 17ac, 13ac and 22ac. i've never heard of this spelling of 15d, though I can parse it.

Meanwhile my FOI was 26ac, my COI was 6d.

Brendan, I think I prefer Paul's crosswords. Let's see what we get next week.
68 of 98  -   Report This Post

geeker

5th March 2022, 23:16
By the way, Serpent in the Indy often employs the same "feature" Picaroon included in this Prize. He's at it again today (Independent 11,043). Quite a difficult puzzle, though...I struggle with Serpent more than with the popular Guardian setters.
69 of 98  -   Report This Post

brendan

5th March 2022, 23:17
Hi Roof, glad you stuck with it.

17a - Literature's most famous "Moor" - 2 letter "boat evenly" + 5 letter "cry for attention"

13a - radio shows are often called this when they tour the country.

22a - 3 letter "got urge periodically" inside 3 letter "vehicle" - definition is "predator".

11d - 5 letter "trail" (as in you might search for relatives in a family tree) minus last letter/endless and reversed/climbing - definition is "means of transport".
70 of 98  -   Report This Post