CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

teenieleek

9th February 2022, 16:26
Well done Loge and thanks to Brendan, he of the vanishing posts.
11 of 46  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

9th February 2022, 17:31
I'll leave the original now surplus thread until tomorrow, then I'll delete it.
12 of 46  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

9th February 2022, 20:31
Came to this a bit late, and also the original thread would not allow me to post. Quite tough, I thought. One comment: I cannot find a single 9 letter theme word, but I have found three 10 letter examples.
13 of 46  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

9th February 2022, 20:58
May have to retract. The theme word related to 25a could be 9 letters, but I am more familiar with a 7 letter version. Given that these theme words do not get submitted, does not matter.
14 of 46  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

9th February 2022, 23:03
In the previous Genius thread I fear I may have tramped over drxx’s metatarsals once again.

I am very sorry if I gave offence a second time. I had no intention of doing so with what I thought was my self-confessedly tedious stuff about the legislative status of ceremonial geography, any more than I did previously apropos my personal view of the Telegraph in the Listener thread.

To be clear, drxx is entirely right about how the local terminology is used and how it matters both practically and as a matter of local identity. It also has a substantial history.

My deliberately legally pedantic contribution was intended only as a “well, what do you know: looked at from this weird but narrowly accurate perspective, the setter was arguably right” contribution. It was not meant as a criticism or contradiction of other views.

I thought I had signalled it as such but obviously not.
15 of 46  -   Report This Post

drxx

9th February 2022, 23:19
Copying you in to that exchange with loge was my idea of a little joke, jack aubrey (sorry if I missed your funny bone - your hobnails completely missed my tender toes this time... as they did the last time if I'm being honest}. Maybe I should invest in some of those hideous emoji things.
16 of 46  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

10th February 2022, 09:15
Err, oops! (Red face emoji omitted!)
17 of 46  -   Report This Post

tehughes22

10th February 2022, 14:00
Is it possible that 20a is not a human?
18 of 46  -   Report This Post

tehughes22

10th February 2022, 14:07
Having asked that, and as a way of introduction, let me add that I am from the US; this is only my third attempt at Genius and I wouldn’t know an Australian cricketer if they bit me on the arse.
19 of 46  -   Report This Post

quisling

10th February 2022, 14:18
Definitely human. Only one word is extra in each clue, so “Australian cricketer” would be incorrect. In this case Australian is an abbreviation. He was a fast bowler in the 90s, and his surname sounds more like his Christian name (X)
20 of 46  -   Report This Post