CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

8th January 2022, 00:44
Thanks to Paul for this week's Prize. I found it lots of fun, somewhat above median difficulty (YMMV naturally), with many ingenious and smile-inducing clues. As usual with Paul, several solutions feature rather convoluted parsing, so a busy thread is expected.

FOI 6a, LOI 10, which I had to Google.
5 only parsed after the grid was filled, but once the penny dropped I had to declare it COD!
Many fine clues: COD shortlist included 20, 21 and 7, long list 9, (22a,6d), (24,12), 18, (4,19). Obviously I enjoyed the paired clues.
Didn't spot a theme (but I rarely do). The one outright Pauline trademark I noticed caused laughter. Clues 11 and 2 familiar from other recent puzzles.
1 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th January 2022, 01:25
Hi Geeker,

My internet was only running on 0.1Mbps so I didn't think I was going to be able to complete this but then, thankfully, it went back up to the usual 400Mbps.

As you say, quite a bit more difficult than usual but with some great clues and wordplay.

FOI was the gimme at 11a.

IIf you do get stuck there are at least two anagrams in the acrosses and at least one anagram and a hidden in the downs in the downs.

The only clue I can't fully parse is the first part of 16a but I've got a green tick on the app so I know it's correct.

COD - I was actually going to pick the Spoonerism at 24,12 (I know, I can't believe it either - 2 Spoonerism COD's in a row!) but, it just got pipped at the post by the quite brilliant 5d.

Please feel free to leave a comment with new posters are particularly welcome and, if you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for a hint.

Thanks to Paul for an excellent puzzle.

Stay safe:-)
2 of 51  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

8th January 2022, 02:47
Lovely crossword FOI 8a and thought i might have found a theme in record time . Sadly no . COD 4,19 . Anyone feeling this crossword is too hard persevere , it is not imposible for a dogged newcomer to cryptics to complete and will be very satisfying.
3 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th January 2022, 02:52
Hi Chrisxxxx,

I agree wholeheartedly that, while this crossword might at first seem daunting, with a bit of perseverance and patience the answers will eventually show themselves.
4 of 51  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th January 2022, 03:39
Really a lot of fine clues, difficult to pick just one COD. Upon review, 8 is also excellent.
5 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th January 2022, 03:55
Hi Geeker,

I liked 8a but the lack of a smooth surface prevented it from, IMHO, being a COD.

I think 22,6 deserves a mention and, coincidentally, I just recently watched a most entertaining video on YouTube about it - I obviously can't supply a link due to spoiler issues but I will in a few days.

I also really liked the wordplay in 13d and 1a had a smooth and witty surface:-)
6 of 51  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th January 2022, 04:22
Brendan, agreed on (22a,6d). Made my long COD list. Could have ranked higher, but the solution's figured in quite a few crosswords of recent memory, which helped me solve it quickly (second one in).
7 of 51  -   Report This Post

geeker

8th January 2022, 04:41
Brendan, off-topic but you might enjoy the (thematic anniversary puzzle) Financial Times crossword 16,987 which just came out.
8 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th January 2022, 04:51
Thanks Geeker, I'll try and pick up a copy when I'm in Waitrose later today.

PS Glad to see you've started doing the Genius puzzles on the Guardian website - this month's is particularly good:-)
9 of 51  -   Report This Post

jono

8th January 2022, 07:55
Good fun I thought, went in fairly quickly. Sometimes nice not to have a theme to worry about. Can’t quite parse 22/6 or 21, but I’ll come back later and see if they come to me.

I was interested to read Mitz’s 2021 Guardian Round-up on 225. I managed to complete a full year of cryptics, prize, Quiptics and Everyman last year. Need to add in the Genius this year perhaps. I’m part way through the current one. Pity it’s not in the app.
10 of 51  -   Report This Post