CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrisxxxx

2nd January 2022, 19:43
I started crossword yesterday but stopped due to a grid I dislike . ie basicaly 4 small crosswords . On reading this thread and seeing there was a theme connecting them I persisted and thoroughly enjoyed it . I should have had more faith in the compiler . Happy new year all .
51 of 75  -   Report This Post

mistype

2nd January 2022, 20:38
I am truly puzzled by 31 across. I have the theme. This is my LOI so I know how it should start. My crossers are E,T,S,E. What am I missing?
52 of 75  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd January 2022, 20:44
I think your S is wrong.

This is an odd one - why the female ending?
53 of 75  -   Report This Post

geeker

2nd January 2022, 20:53
Re. 31, I've seen the feminine form used, it's not *that* unusual, see for instance https://tinyurl.com/2p8kx58z . The obvious guess at why it's employed here is to pad the answer out to 9 letters.
54 of 75  -   Report This Post

tonystock

2nd January 2022, 20:55
Hi Myste Ive just finished this and its been a struggle as Ive never heard of most of the words in the grid…. Chrise is right that your “s” is not right…..the def for 25 d is “release…and maybe release Granny from what they are famous for……for 31a I have it as a 7 letter word for something you sit on going backwards and single letters for piano time….the def being some music ….I hope that’s right anyway Im not a solver but a browser as not clever enough ! Happy New Year :-)
55 of 75  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd January 2022, 20:56
Thanks for the link, geeker. That one is odd too. One might understand it if all the performers were female, but, judging from the names, they weren't!
56 of 75  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd January 2022, 20:59
I’m not sure this denotes a feminine ending in this case. I think it comes from German, and musically it’s generally written this way.
57 of 75  -   Report This Post

tonystock

2nd January 2022, 21:01
I cant parse 26 down albeit Im sure of the answer …..any help ?
58 of 75  -   Report This Post

mistype

2nd January 2022, 21:02
Thanks all. I was so convinced about my S that I overlooked this word! Not a good start to the year. Brilliant puzzle.
59 of 75  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd January 2022, 21:05
tonystock
jono (i think) explained this earlier

jono
i've never seen 31a in the feminine form before - certainly not in the singular. beethoven's wasn't.
60 of 75  -   Report This Post