CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gweilo

9th October 2021, 10:02
@jono

Yeah, I had the rest. I don't think I've ever seen those two letters clued like that before.

Thinking about it, I'm generally happy with a bunch of other contractions, so this is just one more to add to the list
21 of 42  -   Report This Post

adnarim

9th October 2021, 10:15
Chrisxxxx thank you for the hint to look again at 16a, I think I had the same answer as you initially and it made 17a impossible.
I think I’ve got 26a right but I can’t parse it, can anyone help?
I was very happy to finish this today, having found it a struggle to get started
22 of 42  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th October 2021, 10:15
@jono thanks so 12a was compiler error
23 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

9th October 2021, 10:33
Curiously, there are elements of Tramp’s favourite clue (see ‘meet the setter’ article link below) hinted at in today’s 12a and 14a…
Must’ve? (5,7,2,3,3)

https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/crossword-blog/2011/dec/01/crossword-blog-meet-the-setter-tramp
24 of 42  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th October 2021, 10:52
Thanks Jono, that was a very enjoyable read - he seems like a really nice guy:-)
25 of 42  -   Report This Post

eagle

9th October 2021, 11:36
26a Think of the Ryder Cup
I like 12a, think it is an excellent clue and possibly my COD
3dn works fine for me - I thought of food for the first part
Similarly 20dn works fine for me - I thought of 'in with'
26 of 42  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

9th October 2021, 13:10
A delightful puzzle full of wit and good humour.
15d was my LOI which took me far too
to parse, but made me smile
27 of 42  -   Report This Post

rocky7

9th October 2021, 17:14
Not the most taxing of Prize puzzles but thoroughly enjoyable with some really nice clues. Only just finished up because the weather in Devon is so nice today we felt the need to get out and enjoy.

For me COD and FOI 1a which I really liked.
28 of 42  -   Report This Post

rocky7

9th October 2021, 17:18
PS Brendan.

My handle on here probably tells you I concur completely with your point about Harry Kane in your first post. 😁
29 of 42  -   Report This Post

roof

9th October 2021, 18:13
Hi everyone

Like you Rocky7, it was too nice to stay in earlier, so I ened up doing a little gardening. I've now tackled that rogue bramble! And cut back some stuff. My back garden is looking very pretty with lots of colour.

Despite only getting one answer on first read through, other answers came steadily, but I am now stuck with much of south west corner still to finish.

Please can I have a hint for 16ac. I have no idea what to make of 15d. As soon as I see a reference to a footballer, I go numb and can no longer solve the clue, so a hint there would be helpful. There are several I can't parse like 11ac, 23d and 26ac, though I'm fairly confident of my answers. I've poured my 6.00pm glass of wine now, so hoping for a final breakthrough.
30 of 42  -   Report This Post