CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

21st August 2021, 19:34
roof, defn. of 5 is "a starter", Americanism (imo) often used in sports context. The "fine" component is also an Americanism (2 letters).
61 of 108  -   Report This Post

roof

21st August 2021, 20:32
Thanks Brendan

I thought they may be wrong, especially when I got 12 ac (thank you Geeker.

Back to the drawing board. I liked First gear for 6d

I finally got 14d and 21ac, the latter after finally getting school. Doh.

Does 17ac start with crack?
62 of 108  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st August 2021, 20:42
Thanks Roof,

17a - Yes, that's a variant spelling of the "fun in Ireland".

6d - The 5, 3 are a description of Ferrari but it could be Lamborghini, Rolls Royce or any ????? ??? (The 3 letters being the most obvious word you could think of to describe what all those makers produce)
63 of 108  -   Report This Post

tonystock

21st August 2021, 21:16
What a great crossword , I’m leaving LOI , 5d for a sleepover…Ive been on it all day and thanks to everyone on the forum today its been most pleasing. Tony
64 of 108  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

21st August 2021, 22:21
Only a 5d would leave crossword unfinished . Meant in jest to a new poster (and maybe a hint )
65 of 108  -   Report This Post

roof

21st August 2021, 23:05
I stopped to watch Icelandic movie on BBC 4. I wish I hadn't.

Still loads to do. At least I found the word for 5d, but I'm still stuck on the rest of that corner. I've just got 16,15. Thanks to someone, I've got the second word of 16d and may even have the first word, which may give me 4ac and 10ac.

I'll give myself until midnight to see if I can get any more. What about a hint for 18d and 19d.
66 of 108  -   Report This Post

geeker

21st August 2021, 23:11
18: defn. "scroungers", parses as "what's found on plate" (3) reversed, inside a popular crossword term for "rotters" (4). The "plate" does not have to do with china/crockery!
67 of 108  -   Report This Post

geeker

21st August 2021, 23:13
19: defn. "One like Hamlet", parses as 1, 4, 2.
68 of 108  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st August 2021, 23:16
I'd stick with it Roof, the clues genuinely are very good IMHO:-)

18d - 4 letter "rotters" around/"holding" 3 letter "what's on plate" (the 'plate' is on a car) - definition is "spongers"

19d - Single letter "Western" + 4 letter "state" (as a verb) + 2 letter "ruler" - definition is "one like Hamlet" (referring to a personality trait he famously had)

PS - How is you back Roof? I hope the out of date painkillers did the trick
😉
69 of 108  -   Report This Post

roof

22nd August 2021, 00:14
Thanks Brendan and Geeker

I got 18d, though had trouble parsing it. I'm struggling with 19d despite your hint as I thought it started with "O". If it starts with W then my 17ac is very wrong. I currently have O?V???? for 19d. I can see the answer now, but not 19ac. I have ?R?C?S?W? This does not make a word. Which letter(s) are wrong?

I just have four others to get;
9,25 I have ?U????R?
2d I have D???T
23d I have T????
27ac I have ?S???R

By the way my foi was 3d, followed by 1ac. I have no COIs as I've hated this crossword. Off to bed to sleep or not on the last ones.

My back: The old 2011 pain killers (co-drydamol) did work in combination with ibuprofen and a second visit to my physio, but I have to be careful; making beds today was tricky. My shoulder (tendonitis) remains very painful at night, but a hospital appointment on Monday may sort that out. Here's hoping. I'm desperate to get back out into the garden. Thanks for asking.
70 of 108  -   Report This Post