CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

norah (admin)

18th August 2021, 09:04
THIS IS THE NEW CHAT THREAD, GRAB A COFFEE, SIT YOURSELF IN A COMFY CHAIR AND JOIN IN FOR A GOSSIP

Please keep all non-crossword talk to this one chat thread, please don’t start any new personal threads particularly those prefixed by @name.

Enjoy yourselves, set the world to rights but remember, please respect each other’s point of view, no falling out - let’s keep the Forum the friendly cheerful place it has always been (apart from the odd spat along the way).
1 of 181  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th August 2021, 19:28
Thanks Norah. I'm not sure that dispensing with the @name posts will work, though - how would the person the post was intended for know that there was a new post on this thread? I suppose the @name could just say "See Coffee and Chat" thread.

btw nice clue in today's Guardian:
Crime writer — one with wicked output (8)
2 of 181  -   Report This Post

jono

18th August 2021, 19:50
I was convinced that had to be ‘Christie’, especially with the first crosser. All too tempting to look for wordplay when a cryptic definition is staring you in the face!
3 of 181  -   Report This Post

malone

18th August 2021, 20:03
ChrisE, Jono, I'm ashamed to say that it took me a little while to get that one!

4 of 181  -   Report This Post

tyke51

18th August 2021, 20:05
When I see `wicked` in a clue I normally look for a candle connection

Looks like you scoffed all the cake Chrise! 🍰
5 of 181  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th August 2021, 20:14
I dislike cake, tyke, so I removed it!
6 of 181  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

18th August 2021, 20:31
“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.”
7 of 181  -   Report This Post

malone

18th August 2021, 20:44
Aristophanes, that made me chuckle, but I couldn't help hearing a recurrent phrase from my childhood - 'Who's 'she'? The cat's mother?'.

If this was a local phrase, it might be meaningless to everyone else.
8 of 181  -   Report This Post

chrise

18th August 2021, 20:48
The phrase is familiar to me too, malone - in north Devon.
9 of 181  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

18th August 2021, 20:57
Re tyke51 @5, I find it interesting that you all use "scoff" where we use "scarf." I saw that use of scoff in a Times crossword, yesterday I think.
10 of 181  -   Report This Post