CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

geeker

14th August 2021, 01:29
Thanks to Philistine for a Friday the 13th (evening here in US) Prize.
It quickly became evident that the puzzle is themed, but my initial guess at the theme was incorrect and wasn't righted until about 2/3 of the way through.
About midrange in difficulty, though of course YMMV.
FOI 8, LOI 11 due to a mistake in 3.
3 winds up COD over a long list of contenders: 1, 15, 20, 22d, 9, 13 and 17 (evidently I enjoyed the puzzle). Several cleverly constructed anagrams.
1 of 54  -   Report This Post

alzy

14th August 2021, 01:56
I agree with you, Geeker. For me this was the first Prize in a long time that I've sat down and gone straight through with no major glitches. FOI 1d. Enjoyed the maze of clues that referred back to each other and then some. Those would be my COD's too. Thanks, Philistine !
2 of 54  -   Report This Post

alzy

14th August 2021, 01:57
P.S. Evening for you; late afternoon for me. And no I'm not in Hawaii.
3 of 54  -   Report This Post

mystogre

14th August 2021, 02:19
Afternoon all. A very nice little “slow” ramble through the kitchen. Loved the way 4d was constructed using 25a.
Interesting constructions in top left and bottom right corners too.
Not too much to get really stuck on. My lunchtime coffee is finished and so is the crossword.
4 of 54  -   Report This Post

alzy

14th August 2021, 02:38
I made the same mistake in 3 but caught it in good time. I bet I know what you thought it was.
5 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrisxxxx

14th August 2021, 02:46
Very enjoyable crossword .COD 26 for the simplicity of is .
6 of 54  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th August 2021, 05:29
Late to the party today and not a subject I know much about (I'm sure Roof will love it 😲) but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.

FOI was 26a followed by the 24s.

The only clue I can't parse is 3d, but I'm sure some kind soul will explain it to me.

COD - has to be 21d for its wit and super smooth surface - a winning combination in anyone's book 😀

Thanks to Philistine for a lovely way to kick off the weekend.

I don't think I will ever tire of the Fawlty Towers references:-)

Stay safe:-)
7 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

14th August 2021, 05:39
Hi Brendan,
3d I think is another fruit with a word from the clue subtracted. Doesn’t quite yield the last letter though…

I was also reminded of Fawlty Towers!
8 of 54  -   Report This Post

brendan

14th August 2021, 05:41
Thanks Jono,

It was that pesky S at the end that I couldn't reconcile but no complaints.
9 of 54  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

14th August 2021, 05:56
Agreed, not too difficult, but fun. I would have finished sooner, but for some reason I wanted a snack midway through. FOI was 8; seemed an obvious hidden and I’ve had the dish in question. LOI was 5. COD has to be 4, 25.
10 of 54  -   Report This Post