CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

3rd July 2021, 01:04
Thankfully, I found this week's puzzle by Brummie a more gentle affair than the most recent ones.

FOI was 6a followed by 6d.

If you do get stuck there are a couple of long anagrams and a hidden, all in the downs.

I was a tad puzzled how the first word of 14d parsed but, having looked at it again, I'm happy that "turned up" fits.

COD - Lots of very high-class cluing by Brummie but my favourites were 16a, 27a and 25a.

The eagle-eyed among you might notice a similar device used in both 10a and 3d.

It's been great to see that the number of new posters grows every week, so let's keep that going - and remember, if you get stuck you can always ask for hint:-)

Stay safe:-)
1 of 51  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd July 2021, 01:18
Hi Brendan,

Thanks to Brummie. FOI 10, LOI 18 (new term to me, but parsing clear). COD 8 over 2, 16 and 25.
I also found the puzzle easier than the norm, I'd say a bit of a letdown relative to many of the recent inspired Prizes. But still scratching my head about parsing of the first word of 14 (though confident of solution).
Knowing that Brummie sets for Private Eye, I observed that 21 is a very Cyclopean clue!
2 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd July 2021, 01:23
Hi Geeker,

18d - I did wonder if this saying would be widely known outside these shores but, as you say, the parsing is clear.

14d - If you imagine a "turned up" second word in the clue (minus last letter) it could also be called a ..... ....
3 of 51  -   Report This Post

geeker

3rd July 2021, 01:30
Thanks, I get 14 now.
4 of 51  -   Report This Post

johnson

3rd July 2021, 01:33
Hi all
Thanks Brummie, a bit easier than usual Prizes
FOI 10a (I did spot the connection with 3!, guess I can call myself eagle eyed Brendan!)
LOI 4d (I had it wrong at first)
COD 25a - because I chose a wrong option for the fish option….

Keep welll
5 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd July 2021, 01:40
Hi Johnson,

I'm glad it's not just me then - I had to do a double-take when I saw 10a and 3d.

I'm glad you got 14d but I doubt it was as a result of my hint which, having just looked at it again, is about as clear as mud! In my defence (here we go!) I've got my screen split between this site and the latest Agadmator video showing Magnus vs Levon game 2, so mistakes are inevitable - by me that is 😜
6 of 51  -   Report This Post

alzy

3rd July 2021, 03:50
Late to the party this week. After an enjoyable run, I'm stuck on 24a no matter what I come up with for 17D. Hints welcome.
7 of 51  -   Report This Post

brendan

3rd July 2021, 03:55
Hi Alzy,

24a - Is a 4 letter "prudence" (as in with 'caution') + 2 letter "Nazi organisation" - definition is "pat" (as in 'lightly touch')
8 of 51  -   Report This Post

mathi

3rd July 2021, 05:06
14d: Chambers defines the first word here as: Flat, broad, blunt and turned up.
9 of 51  -   Report This Post

femmenoire

3rd July 2021, 05:17
Looking for hints please from you lovely crossword people: 8a, 16a, 21a.

I have a diagonal split between the upper right half which is pretty much complete and a sparse lower left half. Finding this one more challenging than some others here. Glad to have somewhere to find assistance!
10 of 51  -   Report This Post