CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

15th May 2021, 19:06
Hi Ronpegram,

13a - See mine and Jono's earlier posts.

23a - Definition is "downed one" as in a creature with down/feathers.

22d - Is both a soft "drink" (a trademark) and a "drug" - in fact, I think the drug used to be an ingredient in the soft drink!! Many years ago, of course.
61 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th May 2021, 19:08
18a - First 3 letters/"short" of a 4 letter "rip" + single letter for "hem of denim" - definition is "outfit"
62 of 81  -   Report This Post

roof

15th May 2021, 19:13
Back again having finally solved some of the clues from earlier hints. I got 3d (only three letters for firtst word to my knowledge), but it means my 2d is wrong and I can't quite see the answer. I have PAI? Which letter is wrong?

I still have two others to get: 26ac and 19d. I have ??L?E? for 26ac and ?M?O?? for 19d. I'm assuming something is wrong.

Personally, I thought 22d was easy once I ignored the extra S. I cannot explain some of the answers, especially 5d (I didn't understand the earlier hint), my second word for 12,6 was wrong. I think I have the right answer now, but have no idea why it is right, though I think I might see the anagram now. And the battery on my cursor has just failed. Not a good day and I didn't like the crossword. Just the binding on my quilt to finish now.
63 of 81  -   Report This Post

roof

15th May 2021, 19:14
Sorry I meant mouse not cursor.
64 of 81  -   Report This Post

geeker

15th May 2021, 19:23
roof, crossers look correct.
26: defn. "case", breaks down as 1+5
19: defn. "plane" (v), "low" inside "way" (both standard crossword argot) + a single letter.
65 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th May 2021, 19:25
Hi Roof,

2d - definition is "smart" as in a 'sting' or something that hurts/smarts - your letters are correct.

26a - Single letter "hospital" + 5 letter "not so young" - definition is "case" - your letters are correct.

19d - 2 letter "way" around 3 letter "low" then single letter "height" - definition is "plane" (as a carpenter might do?) - your letters are correct.

5d - Is just an anagram - definition is "cherished ones"

12,6 - is another anagram - AN(d) + next three words - definition is "dogs might see them".

12,6 is a wonderful bit of misdirection with "reservoir dogs":-)
66 of 81  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th May 2021, 19:28
Roof,

for 2d - it's 2 letter "secretary" + 2 letter "at work" ie is John at work/ is john ??
67 of 81  -   Report This Post

luko

15th May 2021, 19:41
A latish start today, on a very enjoyable puzzle - I thought a really good mix with nothing too straightforward and a few real head-scratchers. FOI 10a (would have been 5a if I'd had more faith), LOI 18a once corrected, several COD candidates but I think probably 16d. Like others, I smiled at 24a. I think I just ignored the plural in 22d so got the dd immediately.
Thanks to Tramp for an excellent workout, and thanks to all here especially for the pointers on 17a, 18a and the infuriatingly-obvious-but-not-seen-at-all meaning of downed in 23a.
Roll on Everyman, see you all (hopefully with more new faceless faces?) tomorrow.
68 of 81  -   Report This Post

roof

16th May 2021, 00:54
Many thanks Brendan for your help and to others.

I had managed to work out 2d, despite odd meaning of smart. I had also worked out 26ac. I'd got the answer for 19d from your helpful hint and I have just understood the definition! I really can't be bothered to work out the anagram for 5d, but assume I've got the right answer. I had got the right anagram in the end for 12,6 including the misdirection.

I can go to bed now - just a bit later than I wanted, not because of the crossword, but because of my quilt, which must be finished by Tuesday. I've been sewing frantically.
69 of 81  -   Report This Post

freddycat

16th May 2021, 12:18
Maybe a bit dim today but finding the bottom left hand corner a bit of a struggle despite the helpful hints so far. Any further hints to 20ac (Number two fault: check by pilot) would be appreciated - I have -i--/--/-i-m-n.
Also 16d (What have you put on top of stuff that's not opened. Artwork?) is escaping me - I have -t---n-s. I can think of something but cant see how the parsing works.
70 of 81  -   Report This Post