CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

janusz

9th May 2021, 07:35
"under discussion" = sounds like
71 of 76  -   Report This Post

luko

9th May 2021, 08:43
A struggle today/yesterday, very slow progress and a lot of help from friends here. Mostly the blocks were my lateral thinking to parse possible answers, with limited knowledge of poets also a contribution. FOI 21a, LOI 9a (inexcusably!), COD the laugh-out-loud 14d.
Discussion of 24a and the Archer connection cannot be complete without reference to Araucaria's magnificent clue (younger readers might need to research Archer's court case to fully appreciate): 'Poetical scene with surprisingly chaste Lord Archer vegetating (3, 3, 8, 12)'
72 of 76  -   Report This Post

tonystock

9th May 2021, 08:47
Finally finished this, thank god as not too keen on poets but must admit I know a lot more today than yesterday so the educational input is always welcomed. Some nice clues but some I didn’t smile at....for example 16 a and not too keen on the seemingly over usage of the word “issue”.
Looking at Brendans post about surface reading I’m now intrigued to look for these so thanks Brendan. I must admit I didn’t see many of these in this crossword albeit there was opportunity there for the setter. Rain again here in York so on to the Everyman . Happy Sunday to everyone.
73 of 76  -   Report This Post

geeker

9th May 2021, 16:13
Going back to p. 1 and missed opportunities for Pauline clues (Paulisms?)...I had some fun constructing alternate clues to 5, but none of them can be repeated here!
74 of 76  -   Report This Post

jaffra

10th May 2021, 00:09
I surprised myself by, for once, completing the puzzle without recourse to the Forum, only referring to it afterwards to see others' comments and to check on some of the parsing. I did have to look up some of the poets on lists, but I knew most of them.

However the answer to 24A reminded me of an amusing incident. Many decades ago, my then young nephew liked the Rupert Bear cartoons. I wanted to buy him that year's Annual for his Christmas present, but everywhere was sold out. So I trawled the Charing Cross Road bookshops for a second-hand one. In one rather arty shop, the bookseller misheard my request for Rupert books. "Oh yes", said he, and you may guess what he produced. Embarrassment on both sides.

I don't remember whether I succeeded in my quest in the end.
75 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th May 2021, 00:12
That's great Jaffra,

You never know, you might have been the inspiration for Monty Python's bookshop sketch:-)
76 of 76  -   Report This Post