CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mikey456

8th May 2021, 15:40
>24a - Is the name of a poet and also a homophone/"under discussion" of the title of a poem by Tennyson. <

Got it now. It's not a poem I am familiar with.
Thanks. I was "half-tired of chasing shadows", to paraphrase the great poet.
51 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th May 2021, 15:42
Have you spotted the Archer connection?
52 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th May 2021, 15:44
Is it the previous owner of his house?
53 of 76  -   Report This Post

phantom

8th May 2021, 15:45
The English for 22d
54 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th May 2021, 15:45
Google to the rescue - 24a wrote a poem about it?
55 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th May 2021, 15:46
Yes to all. 24's most famous poem has the title of the house where the Archers live.
56 of 76  -   Report This Post

jvector

8th May 2021, 17:42
Just read your first post Brendan, and not yet read all 55 comments... so I am hoping my bugbears will be debugged here.
I also entered 2d without understanding how it parses.
Same goes for 26a: I've entered a word for 'issue' as a verb, but then reversed it gives a word that has no connection to 'point' that I can see.
And I have nothing for 22a. My crossers are B _ T _ A _ ,and I've looked at all 17 words that fit without seeing a connection to the clue :-(

Well, it may be that I'll twig the answer reading here.If not ... any nudges please?
57 of 76  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th May 2021, 17:52
Hi Jvector,

The three you mentioned are also the one's I struggled with the most to parse.

2d - First 3 letters are a "novel" (crops up frequently in cryptics!) + 4 letter "Scottish island" reversed/"up"

26a - Chambers gives both the answer reversed and "point" as 'a moment (when things happen)' - somebody else may have a better parse though.

22a - First 2 letters are "remain" + 4 letter "server" (as in what you might serve drinks on) - definition is "sing" as in 'tell on' or 'grass' etc.
58 of 76  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th May 2021, 17:53
22 my LOI too. Definition "shop" as a verb. The "server" will be a T-T moment!
59 of 76  -   Report This Post

jvector

8th May 2021, 18:02
Of course, straight after submitting I got the 'book' (that's a pretty big catchment area, Paul...!)

Re. 26, yes I see your point now!

And as for 22 ... d'oh! I have seen 'shop' used like that so many times. But i totally missed that sense of 'tray'. Not too keen on the two letter 'remain', to be honest. But yes, a definite TM.

Thanks Brendan and Chrise. I can let this go now, with a sigh of relief.
60 of 76  -   Report This Post