CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

28th February 2021, 19:49
Abicoop, 1 A is just an anagram - leading to a very odd-looking (but correct) word.

1 D. The misprint comes at the very beginning... (Sacks doesn't involve hessian or employment, a more old-fashioned usage).
31 of 48  -   Report This Post

abicoop

28th February 2021, 19:59
Thanks, got those two now. Hopefully will open up a bit more for me. I'll no doubt be back!
32 of 48  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

28th February 2021, 22:43
For the end game, I went with a literal interpretation of “drawing...in” - ie, drawing inside - and took the first part of the verse given by the corrected letters as advice not to colour in or highlight cells. Seemed pretty clear. But that’s just my hap’orth.
33 of 48  -   Report This Post

gitto

1st March 2021, 08:34
I agree with you jack.

jif73, my previous posting was to highlight the subtle difference between the Chambers definition of the verb to the noun.

I do not see that drawing lines AROUND the blanks to produce the symbol fits the instruction - surely just producing the symbol within the blanked-out area is the correct interpretation of what is required.
34 of 48  -   Report This Post

thepost

2nd March 2021, 09:40
Grid completed but I would appreciate anyone's views on the following clues:
19ac. Answer is OTT but how do you get that from "loris, edges away"

23ac. Why are Leonians "born under fire"

21dn. How is a GNU a horned horse

Thanks
35 of 48  -   Report This Post

loge

2nd March 2021, 10:04
19 (p)OTT(o)

23 I'm no expert on astrology but isn't Leo a fire sign?

21 Chambers defines GNU as superficially like a horse
36 of 48  -   Report This Post

thepost

2nd March 2021, 12:23
Loge

Thank you for "potto".

It is difficult to find in Chambers but under the entry for "fire sign" it does indeed say that Leo is one (of three).

My Chambers gives GNU as resembling a buffalo. Can that be seen as being the same as a horse?

Anyway, your help is much appreciated.
37 of 48  -   Report This Post

loge

2nd March 2021, 13:53
That's interesting. My old Chambers (2003) defines GNU as a large African antelope (genus Connochaetes or Catoblepas), superficially like a horse or buffalo (also called wildebeest) but the app version misses out "like a horse".
38 of 48  -   Report This Post

abicoop

2nd March 2021, 16:19
Still filling in my grid... is 25a Marmot? I can see the rodent and the damage but the trees?
39 of 48  -   Report This Post

loge

2nd March 2021, 16:33
One of the definitions of MOT in Chambers is (US) a clump of trees, esp on a prairie.
40 of 48  -   Report This Post